My internet explorer changed sites, and won't allow me to start where I want it to. So I read previous posts and downloaded spybot. It won't allow me to update, get an error message and no list of updates. I'm still faulting to the wrong internet explorer page. Also, the size of the fonts has been changed on all my web pages, is this the same problem or another problem.

I do my best at doing this stuff, but I'm a veterinarian, not a computer maven. Any help written plainly would be greatly appreciated.

thanks
ruth

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

Try using Ad-aware, its used by almost everybody:
www.lavasoft.nu
this one is free

Otherwise use pestpatrol instead, its more efficient
www.pestpatrol.com
but you have to buy it to get the full version

Moving to the security forum, as this is almost cetainly a spyware-type problem. :)

BTW- the font resizing might be a separate problem; that will become clearer once you've run a few spyware removal utilities.

My internet explorer changed sites, and won't allow me to start where I want it to. So I read previous posts and downloaded spybot. It won't allow me to update, get an error message and no list of updates. I'm still faulting to the wrong internet explorer page. Also, the size of the fonts has been changed on all my web pages, is this the same problem or another problem.

I do my best at doing this stuff, but I'm a veterinarian, not a computer maven. Any help written plainly would be greatly appreciated.

thanks
ruth

Download the latest version of Ad-Aware at http://www.lavasoftusa.com/support/download/
After installing AAW, and before running the program, FIRST update the reference file following these instructions.
http://www.lavahelp.com/howto/updref/index.html
Now do the following:
- Under Ad-aware 6 > Settings (Gear at the top) > Tweaks > Scanning Engine:
check: "Unload recognized processes during scanning."
- Under Ad-aware 6 > Settings (Gear at the top) > Tweaks > Cleaning Engine:
Check: "Let Windows remove files in use after reboot."
Press "Scan Now"
- Check option "Use Custom scanning options"
- Check option "Activate In-Depth Scan"
- Press "Select drives\folders to scan"
- Select the active partition which is usually C:
Now press "Next" to let Ad-aware scan your drives...
It will find a number of "bad" files and registry keys.
Right-click in that pane and choose "select all"
Now press "Next" again.
It will ask you whether you'd like to remove all checked items. Click OK.
Finally, close Ad-Aware, and reboot.

Then:
Download 'Hijack This!'. http://www.computercops.biz/downloads-file-328.html
Unzip (extract) it to a folder of its own. Then Doubleclick HijackThis.exe (in the new folder), and hit "Scan".
When the scan is finished, the "Scan" button will change into a "Save Log" button.
Press that, then Ctrl-A to Select All, and copy its contents here. for hijackthis,most of what it lists will be harmless or even essential, don't fix anything yet.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.