My local server is sending me messages stating that I have many viruses. I run Norton regularly how can that be? I run the updates all the time. So which one is better AGV Antivirus or Norton? I appreciate your comments. Thanks a lot!:confused:

Recommended Answers

All 9 Replies

Norton is better in my opinion, although it uses more resources. If you are worried about viruses Go here for an on-line scan & set it to autoclean for you.

Hi Crunchie:

I followed your instructions and I'm hoping this will help me. I want to thank you for your help.

Thanks again,

Anna Marie

Hi Crunchie:

After finishing the scan I was told that I am in medium risk of getting Worm Netsky.y. Can I get some feedback from you about this? Thank you very much.

Sincerely,

Anna Marie

I also have Norton and it allowed a trojan "Loader.exe" enter my PC, although i use WinXP and get the error msg. unable to find Service Pack 5.1, etc and went onto Norton web site, you can manually pull down the latest dat files to protect your PC. Many say that Norton is best out there, but, I do believe that if you do your research they all about the same. :o

I use www.google.com for most of my research, it comes up pretty accurate.

I know I didn't answer your question as you may of wished it to be, but hope it helps. Also, you can go to www.windows.com and look at the latest upgrades that your PC may need to allow Norton to work properly.

DakotaRain

After finishing the scan I was told that I am in medium risk of getting Worm Netsky.y. Can I get some feedback from you about this?

More information on the virus can be here:
http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.netsky.y@mm.html

Pay attention to the "best practices" recommendation in the above link; those are general guidelines which, if followed, will minimize the likelyhood of getting infected. Using Windows' and and your anti-virus software's auto update functions to make sure that you have the latest bug fixes, security patches, and virus definitions is key here.

Let me throw something into the mix. . .the last computer tech that worked on my machine said he liked Panda better than Norton, would Panda be an option? I don't know enough about it to suggest it, you'd have to research it (and do it well) before you make up your mind.
Take care!

IT worked great thank you for the information that you gave Ann Marie, it found 3 in my PC that Norton or McAfee couldn't and removed em. Two which went into Volume control the other was in my program files.

Hats off to you Crunchie! :p

More information on the virus can be here:
http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.netsky.y@mm.html

Pay attention to the "best practices" recommendation in the above link; those are general guidelines which, if followed, will minimize the likelyhood of getting infected. Using Windows' and and your anti-virus software's auto update functions to make sure that you have the latest bug fixes, security patches, and virus definitions is key here.

I guess whatever anti virus one may use is all the same. It's just a matter of what you download and your surfing habits, if it's good or bad. I've never got a single virus since 2002. For me, just using AVG is pretty safe....nothing beats free stuff...

I recommend you to use Microsoft Security Essentials + Comodo firewall + Malwarebytes anti-malware. This combination is very efficient and free.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.