in browsing the web, my computer has contracted a program which has hijaked my desktop. It has created an image over the desktop background which properties are:

Connection: Not encrypted
Address(URL): file://C:\WINDOWS\Web\desktop.html
Size: Not Available

Created: Not available
modified: Not available

It first appeared covering my desktop background, making it impossible to multi-select desktop items with the cursor. It was a black add with a red eye in it for some spyware removing software. I went to the C:Windows\Web\desktop.html file and deleted it from my computer. Now the image is replaced by a flashing white, cream, and tan colored background that will not leave my pc. My hijack this log shows nothing out of the ordinary, and I have no clue how to remove this flashing screen, what do i do?!?

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

Download & instal Adaware from here
& update it before scanning.
In settings under 'scanning,' have it set to
'scan within archives,'
'scan active processes,'
'scan registry,'
'deepscan registry'
'scan my IE Favourites for banned URL's,'
'scan my host's file.'
In 'tweaks' under 'scanning engine' set it to 'unload recognised processes during scanning.'
Also in 'tweaks' under 'cleaning engine' set it to 'Automatically try to unregister objects prior to deletion' & 'let Windows remove files in use at next reboot.'
Select 'activate in-depth scan' before starting scan.
When the scan is finished select 'next.'
Remove what it finds by placing a check in the box to the left of the object. Reboot

Download & instal Spybot S&D from here. Update it before scanning.
After the scan is complete, have spybot fix everything marked RED.
On the page that first opens when you start Spybot there is an option to immunise, you should do this. In the immunise section there is also a link to download Spywareblaster. This program will prevent the install of bad activex controls that it has knowledge of. Download that & you can keep it updated by selecting the same link that you use to download it. Reboot

Download & instal Adaware from here
& update it before scanning.
In settings under 'scanning,' have it set to
'scan within archives,'
'scan active processes,'
'scan registry,'
'deepscan registry'
'scan my IE Favourites for banned URL's,'
'scan my host's file.'
In 'tweaks' under 'scanning engine' set it to 'unload recognised processes during scanning.'
Also in 'tweaks' under 'cleaning engine' set it to 'Automatically try to unregister objects prior to deletion' & 'let Windows remove files in use at next reboot.'
Select 'activate in-depth scan' before starting scan.
When the scan is finished select 'next.'
Remove what it finds by placing a check in the box to the left of the object. Reboot

Download & instal Spybot S&D from here. Update it before scanning.
After the scan is complete, have spybot fix everything marked RED.
On the page that first opens when you start Spybot there is an option to immunise, you should do this. In the immunise section there is also a link to download Spywareblaster. This program will prevent the install of bad activex controls that it has knowledge of. Download that & you can keep it updated by selecting the same link that you use to download it. Reboot

Went looking on the net and found a temporary solution to my problem. The desktop is configured to run the Web file: SECURITY, which leads to desktop.html.; I went to Control Panel: Display: Desktop: Customize: Web
and deleted the SECURITY link, then checked the "lock my desktop" box, now the problem if fixed temporarily.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.