Ok, when I start up the computer the desktop and everything loads and then I get this message.
Explorer has caused an error in ~8675689081.TMP
Explorer will now close.
OK
If you continue to experiance problems, try restarting your computer.

Well, they are funny. Everytime I restart the same thing happens.
Can anybody help me?????

Recommended Answers

All 9 Replies

Don't feel lonely same problem but mine says Explorer ~7655775276.TMP. I've just been moving to the bottom of my screen till I figure it out.

Explorer should never fault on a temp file (that is, a file with a .TMP extention or a filename beginning with a "~"); it does not rely on temp files in normal operation.

The most likely cause for the error is the fact that your IE has been infected/altered by a malicious program. I'm moving this to our Security forum so that our "Spyware" experts can have a look at your problem.

Hi. To start with please do the following;
Download & instal Adaware from here
& update it before scanning.
In settings under 'scanning,' have it set to
'scan within archives,'
'scan active processes,'
'scan registry,'
'deepscan registry'
'scan my IE Favourites for banned URL's,'
'scan my host's file.'
In 'tweaks' under 'scanning engine' set it to 'unload recognised processes during scanning.'
Also in 'tweaks' under 'cleaning engine' set it to 'Automatically try to unregister objects prior to deletion' & 'let Windows remove files in use at next reboot.'
Select 'activate in-depth scan' before starting scan.
When the scan is finished select 'next.'
Remove what it finds by placing a check in the box to the left of the object. Reboot

Download & instal Spybot S&D from here. Update it before scanning.
After the scan is complete, have spybot fix everything marked RED.
On the page that first opens when you start Spybot there is an option to immunise, you should do this. In the immunise section there is also a link to download Spywareblaster. This program will prevent the install of bad activex controls that it has knowledge of. Download that & you can keep it updated by selecting the same link that you use to download it. Reboot

Clear the contents of your temp folders.
C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Local Settings\Temp
C:\Documents and Settings\Default User\Local Settings\Temp
C:\WINNT\Temp or C:\Windows\Temp
C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files

In order to view these files you may have to select 'show hidden files/folders.' Instructions on how to here.

If problem persists, then do the following;
Download HijackThis from here & unzip it into it's own, permanent folder, (Not a temporary folder or the desktop (in a folder on the desktop is fine) & not directly on your hard drive).
If you have anything disabled in MsConfig, please re-enable it/them.
Start HJT & with all browser windows closed, press the scan button. When the scan is finished the scan button will change to save. Save the log to a text file, copy the entire contents of the text file & paste it into the body of your post. DO NOT FIX ANYTHING YET. Most of what is there is necessary for the running of your system.

Thanks for picking up on this one Chris. :)

- Dave

Thanks for picking up on this one Chris. :)

- Dave

No problems at all :cheesy:

Hey Chris, thanks so much. Ad-aware found all kinds of stuff and got rid of it. Computer runns fine now. I got the Spybot and Spywareblaster too.
If I understand the Spywareblaster will help prevent the computer from getting all this trojens. You see, the problem was on my sons (9years) computer. He surfs and plays on the cartoon sites and gets a lot of pop-ups. He has benn surfing around for years and never had that much stuff come up. I guss mext thing is to find him a good pop-up stopper and then it should be ok again for him to surf.
I want to thank all of you here at Danyweb for taking the time to help us out. I will hang around and get a bit more insite on things like security :cheesy:
Debby

Spywareblaster will prevent the installation of bad active X controls that in turn install other unwanted stuff on your computer.
Another good one is spywareguard from the same site.
Keep all those programs updated & run Adaware & spybot once a week.

got adware downloaded but how do I open it?

The Ad Aware download is the installer program. If you double-click on the downloaded file that will start the installation wizard; it should be pretty straight-forward from there.

Once you have the program installed you'll have an Ad Aware icon in the Programs menu under your Start button, and perhaps an icon right on your desktop as well. Click on the icon to start Ad Aware, and before actually having the program start a scan, do the following:

- Click the "Check for updates now" link and go through the update process. If it finds a newer reference file than the one you are using, choose to install it.

- Click the “use custom scanning options, and then click “Customize

- In Settings, under 'scanning' - have it set to:
'scan within archives,'
'scan active processes,'
'scan registry,'
'deepscan registry'
'scan my IE Favourites for banned URL's,'
'scan my host's file.'

- In 'tweaks':

under 'scanning engine', set it to: 'unload recognized processes during scanning.'
under 'cleaning engine', set it to: 'Automatically try to unregister objects prior to deletion' & 'let Windows remove files in use at next reboot.'

- Select 'activate in-depth scan' before starting scan.

- run the scan (this can take some time). When the scan finishes, select all of the items Ad Aware has found and have it fix them.

- Delete the contents of all Cookies, Temp, and Temporary Internet Files folders, empty your Recycle Bin, and reboot.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.