Hi all.

Can some one help me with the following answers.
I am brushing up for an exam monday and we have to answer one q from a linux environment. I hope this Q comes up as it has done over the last 2 years.

thanks in advance

T

Consider the following entry from a typical /etc/fstab file.

/dev/hdc /media /cdrom iso9660 user,ro,noauto 0 0

Explain the terms

/dev/hdc
/media/cdrom
iso9660

Write down a command to mount this device.

In a typical Linux system, what files are typically stored in the following directories.

/bin
/root
/sbin
/etc

Contributors
Replies
Views
9 Years
Discussion Span
Last Post by TimC

After 38 views and no responses I decided to do it the hard way and checked my notes. These were the answers I found.

Explain the terms

/dev/hdc Device file, which specifies the device file
/media/cdrom specifies the directory where the filesystem should be mounted.
iso9660 the standard filesystem used for CD-ROMs.

Write down a command to mount this device.
mount /dev/cdrom

In a typical Linux system, what files are typically stored in the following directories.

/bin cat, ls, rm
/root home, tmp, boot
/sbin shutdown, fdisk, init
/etc passwd, shadow, group

>mount /dev/cdrom
Of course, if you didn't have an fstab file, you'd have to do

mount -t iso9660 -o user,ro /dev/cdrom /media/cdrom

I'm not exactly sure whether they meant a mount command with or without the fstab file, but it'd probably be okay to assume that you did have it.

>/root home, tmp, boot
Nope. /root is the root's home directory (much like yours would be /home/username), and by default, there's nothing in it. What's typically stored in it varies from user to user, but I usually use it to store old configuration files (and of course a .bashrc for when I use 'su'). If you use it for logging into X (bad idea) it'll also contain your window manager's user configuration files.

John A, thanks for that. I'll change the answer in the exam to match what you said. Hopefully it comes up.

This question has already been answered. Start a new discussion instead.
Have something to contribute to this discussion? Please be thoughtful, detailed and courteous, and be sure to adhere to our posting rules.