Hi,

I have a Compaq and a gateway computer. I also have 2 network cards.
In both computers, I have tried the following distros of linux:
Ubuntu 10.4
Xubuntu 10.4
Ubuntu Server 10.4
Puppy Linux 5
Damn Small Linux

In all combinations of computers, os, and network card, I have not been able to connect to the internet. Can someone give me some advice on where I should start and what I could try to connect. I have been stumbling around the forums with no luck to my problem. I can give you any output you would like.

Thanks in advance.

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

If that is the operating system that you are trying to use when you want to connect to the internet via wireless card then you will have to add the windows driver for the card so linux will know what to do with that card. ( right know it thinks it's taking space lol)
one suggestion is to plug the computer into a router or hub and connect to the internet via RJ-45. then download the updates and search for one called " add windows Wireless drivers" ( dont quote me on that- pretty sure that's what it's called)

If that doesn't help
I will be glad to see what the problem is.

Hi,

I have a Compaq and a gateway computer. I also have 2 network cards.
In both computers, I have tried the following distros of linux:
Ubuntu 10.4
Xubuntu 10.4
Ubuntu Server 10.4
Puppy Linux 5
Damn Small Linux

In all combinations of computers, os, and network card, I have not been able to connect to the internet. Can someone give me some advice on where I should start and what I could try to connect. I have been stumbling around the forums with no luck to my problem. I can give you any output you would like.

Thanks in advance.

I use an Aztech USB wifi adapter and do a clean install with Ubuntu 10.04. It recognize it straight away and able to surf the internet. Maybe you can check the computer CMOS BIOS to see if there is anything that is disable. So far that is the only thing I can think off. Visit the ubuntuforums.org and check it out.

Does the adapter disable after you login and it recognizes the adapter?
If so then do you use ANY type of anti-virus ETC. ?

Hi all,

Thanks for the responses. The confusing part of my issue was ifconfig would recognize each of the cards and would even recognize the drivers that they needed to connect. I could also see that there was a live network to connect too, but i could not get auto dhcp to get me an ip address. Since this was issue was across multiple distros of linux and network cards this lead to think maybe it was the actual cable modem. The solution was to simply to do a hard reset on the cable modem. I suppose if it is the first time you are using a new network card to connect, this is necessary. After I did that, each distro would recognize the card.

hi...
i can not conect internet using plug to surf of tata docomo.i am using fedora live cd 13.please help me....
krishna pratap kunwar.
kolkata.

I solved my issue by simply resetting my modem. That did something, and I was able to connect. The last RPM distro I used was Red Hat v5 from like two years ago. Im not going to be able to give you to much help with Fedora.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.