Good evening you all,

Today and after having several problems with Vista I finally was able to downgrade to XP. I was able to find the drivers wich was a really hard task although right now the problem is, as said, that I am not able to connect to the internet at home though the signal is said to be very strong.
I searched through other threads describing the same problem but I can't quite figure out why it still does not work.
I tried to type down the Ip adress, Gateway, sub-mask and dns primary and secondary but no luck. Also tried the commands:
ipconfig /releasel
ipconfig /all
ipconfig /flushdns
ipconfig /renew
netsh int ip set dns
as advised somewhere and again no luck. I even installed the "Fix It" program that would reset my IP/TCP protocol. Needless to say I'm still in need for help.

I am a normal user and I don't understand much of the language used normally in forums like this so I would very much appreciate if someone could give some clear and simple directions of what I could do to fix this. Btw, I am not sure if this forum is really only for programmers or people connected professionally to informatics, if so, I am sorry but I am getting nuts with this.

Any help would be greatly appreciated,
pennylane

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

You didn't mention whether you are using wireless or ethernet connection. Assuming you're using wifi to connect. The problem could be your network key. Check whether you're using WPA or WEP.

Hi,
If you have any trouble understanding much of the language used normally in forums like this your best friend would be Google. Just Google anything you don't understand, like, "Check whether you're using WPA or WEP."
I think that you may not have installed the XP drivers for your internet connection. What report do you get when you go "Control Panel" "Network and Internet Connections" "internet connections" "Create a new connection" and follow prompts to make a new connection?

Hello,
Thank you for responding.
I got around the problem by disabling a Network Bridge. I don't know if it was my mistake when installing the drivers or if this was normal but that was messing up the connection to the internet.
Thanks anyway and have a happy new year!

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.