Beryl sucks.

Beryl and Compiz are merging soon

cool, so that should make it easier to isntall, right?

I think so, yeah

From beryls site

Beryl and Compiz (at least the plugins part of compiz) are now merging, in the hope of a better future. No name has been decided yet but there's a vote going on

from wiki

Recently, discussions between Beryl and Compiz have lead to an agreement to merge the two projects. The latest stable Compiz core will be expanded with Beryl-like customization options. The working name is "Composite Community", and the name most likely to be adopted by popular vote is Coral

beryls not hard to install.

Beryl was hard to install a year ago.

Now so long as you have recentish nvidia, intel or ati graphics you just have to get the relevant packages and run beryl-manager or compiz's equivalent (gnome-compiz-manager i think). On Feisty compiz comes pre-installed and you just click 'enable desktop effects'.

>On Feisty compiz comes pre-installed and you just click 'enable desktop effects'.

feisty fawn? as in ubuntu 6.10?

feisty is ubuntu 7 point something (the newest one)

fedora and suse has the "enable deaktop effects" thing too

6.10 is edgy
6.06 is dapper

i know suse has it, but didnt know ubuntu did, i'll have to try it out, today.

its crapz0r. Very unstable

yes it makes my linux like vista

i like vista.
it was enough eye candy to look cool, yet it's not distracting

I dislike it. I use the classic theme (did that with xp too, hated the tellitubbies theme)

On windows I like high contrast 1/2 with classic. It makes it look sweet.

windows versus linux?

both have strenghts and weaknesses against each other. its just a matter of a persons preferences. choose what fits your need...

ive been using windows for more than 9 years already. i would rate satisfactory on their os.
what i hate most about windows is that your paying a lot and the os is not worth the money. bugs there bugs here. (i have not tried vista yet)

linux on the other hand is free. hehehe.

go linux

That linux desktop screenshot is really really ugly and looks ancient compaired to osx and vista!

I would love to move to linux if it could run all my apps (adobe suite) and look gorgeous.

Unfortunately, geeks aren't creative people. A bland grey shell with some colorfull icons don't make it look good and consistent! It's like trying to paint a turd!

That desktop? I assume you're referring to the attached images pty and I uploaded of our desktops? I admit, mine, by many standards, looks disgusting, but, in my opinion, simplicity and utility *is* beauty. If transparent icons and flashing crap makes you more productive, then fine, go use it. If on the other hand all it does is consume resources and distract you, then why are you using it?

I like MC, but for some reason it doesnt display correctly over SSH

yes it does. just switch the encoding to UTF8 in Putty

That desktop? I assume you're referring to the attached images pty and I uploaded of our desktops? I admit, mine, by many standards, looks disgusting, but, in my opinion, simplicity and utility *is* beauty. If transparent icons and flashing crap makes you more productive, then fine, go use it. If on the other hand all it does is consume resources and distract you, then why are you using it?

Who said anything about flashing crap? To me, when i'm desiging, a bland os takes from my creativity. Simplistic and Utility doesn't have to mean ugly. Ubuntu should start by hiring proper designers and not coders who like design.

I'd quite like to create a linux desktop ui, but don't think it could actually be implemented.

I think you just proved my point! All of these supposedly attractive linux desktops were a jumbled mess with no consistancy and horrible windows.

Windows vista and OSX Still look 100% cleaner and more attractive.

WinXP - Well that's old now, not exactly in par with an open source system that's meant to be updated frequently. It's still cleaner though! Plus you can download windows blinds which will give you better themes. Alot of them are ugly too actually.

In regards to eye candy vs simplicity, this thread might interest some:
http://www.daniweb.com/forums/thread108572.html

>I'd quite like to create a linux desktop ui, but don't think it could actually be implemented.
Well, if you're referring to coding your own window manager, then yes, I'd agree probably not. However, most window managers are fairly easy to customize and write themes for. Find a window manager that is capable of doing what you want (for example, use KDE if you plan on using a lot of flashy effects -- also think about tinkering with Compiz Fusion). Or you can customize an existing theme to suit your needs.

>I think you just proved my point! All of these supposedly attractive linux desktops were a jumbled mess with no consistancy and horrible windows.

I was referring to what *I* think aesthetically pleasing, not you. Based on some assumptions, here's a list that you might find attractive:

http://customisinglife.files.wordpress.com/2007/01/beryl-3d-desktop.jpg
http://www.elblogdemaverick.com/uploads/xgl-compiz-01.jpg
http://pagux.com/pics/linuxosx.png
http://static.flickr.com/74/190717823_3bbb5a90fb_o.png

i personally find the widdows classic theme to be the best, and use similar themes in linux

its personal choice

That's XP bare-bones bro.
That's not even the default XP out the box look.
Vista is the current Windows OS and it's pretty nice looking out the box even though it's an OSX rip.
I mean, it's the second nicest, sleekest looking OS.

I don't look for sleek or pretty or glamorous in any of my tools. Not in screw drivers, not in hammers, not in pots & pans, not in laundry machines or in lawn and garden equipment.

I look for functionality and usability in my tools. I expect visual aspects to be neutral; poor/bad attributes adversely affect usability, and eye-candy attributes are a distraction. I expect safety and security to have received adequate consideration; usability suffers both when there is too little safety and security and when there is too much.

So far, XP has been the most usable version of Windows, even though its security and safety are sub-standard. The AT&T UNIXPC was my first daily-use computer at home; work systems were TOPS-20, VMS and SunOS4.x. After that, BeOS was my favorite home system. And Debian's GNU/Linux distribution has been my favorite computer tool for at least 7 years. I only use Windows for Illustrator or when I have no other choice.

Functionality and usability make for good computer systems. Not eye-candy.

i like vista under the hood but i hate how they rearranged EVERYTHING

vista + xp shell + tweaks would be nice

Who cares about what an operating system LOOKS like, seriously?

Pick a theme that's good for you, and pick an operating system that does what you want. If the operating system isn't good enough for you, install patches or get a new one.

Eyecandy seems to be everyone's first pick these days for operating systems, and I'm no different -- I have Compiz Fusion with a billion effects. But I don't use GNOME as much as I use Fluxbox, and if you want a damn attractive desktop, install Fluxbox with the default theme. That's attractive in looks, AND how easy it is to fix up and customize.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.