imobby 0 Newbie Poster

Hi,
I am doing Computer and Information Systems Engg. so i have electronics as well as programming concepts.
I am planning to make a surveillance vehicle as my undergraduate project. It will be used to survey any area via a web cam using a PC to control it on a WIFI wireless network with a UI at client side. A LinkSys OpenWRT54GL router to communicate over WIFI. Router needs a hardware hack as to add a serial port to the router so that you can do the interfacing. It is done over here.
A working model of this project is avaialable at http://www.jbprojects.net/projects/wifirobot/
There is no availability of Serial to WIFI modules both on the Internet and in market in my country according to my searching. The webcam will be a IP camera and a preferably long range is required to control this vehicle i think router is a good option yet i fear its large size and the sources it will require to power up.
Is this project worth a final year project
I ll have to use a product for something that it was not made for is this okay? Is this a good approach using this method for making a final year project