Hi guys.

I have a program which needs to store some user profile data. I want to use a database to do this, but i've never worked with databases. I was wondering if anyone can help me with it.

My program is written in the java programming language, and i have installed the MS SQL engine. I created a database and was able to connect to it, and add records and stuff. But, i don't want my program to connect to a server to do that. I want the database file to be stored in my application's local folder, so i can directly manipulate the data without connecting to a server. This way, i can run the application on any computer without logging onto any server account.

So my question is, how can i get this done?

Thank you.

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

So, you need to work with binary files not database!!!

I don't now what you mean.

I'm currently looking into hsql. It's a small DBMS which can be added to the application...

Hi Sebouh,

I'm not 100% sure how to do what you want, but Java does have quite a few sql libraries in its API known as the JDBC. If you post your question in the Java forum, someone with more knowledge than I can claim might be able to help you further. :)

Cheers,
darkagn

Thanks for the reply darkagn. I'll probably do that. But I'm on a tight schedule, so i'm thinking of ditching the database idea and just work with txt files, cause it's gonna take time to find answers, and learn how to implement everything...

Thanks again.

sqlite is exactly what you're after.

"...SQLite is an embedded SQL database engine. Unlike most other SQL databases, SQLite does not have a separate server process. SQLite reads and writes directly to ordinary disk files. A complete SQL database with multiple tables, indices, triggers, and views, is contained in a single disk file..."

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.