4 , Dog
5 , E
6 , F
7 , G
How can I achieve this.
Thanks

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

ok, i am assuming that you want a name for all id's. if a has an entry use that, otherwise use the name from b. also assuming that B has an entry for every id. if those assumptions are correct, then this should work

select b.id, isnull(a.name,b.name) as [Name] from b
left join a on b.id = a.id

Or maybe:

left join a on b.[Name] = LEFT(a.[Name],1)

that would add the assumption that the names in b are the first letter of the names in a

Hmm not really, it replaces the assumption that a.id is a foreign key to b.id.

The OP does not specify. If there is a relation between the id's (which there should be in my opinion, and if the data provided represents all possibilities, then this is indeed the case) your solution is the more efficient.

However if the id's are not related then that only leaves the initial letters, in which case my alternate solution will do.

ok, i am assuming that you want a name for all id's. if a has an entry use that, otherwise use the name from b. also assuming that B has an entry for every id. if those assumptions are correct, then this should work

left join a on b.id = a.id

Thanks to reply my query. It worked. :)

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.