I am creating a recruitment database and will be using a managed hosted service.

I have read MSSQL is more expensive, but does this matter if I am paying someone else for hosting?

The site is going to be in .NET, and I initially was planning to use MySQL, but I am confused now I have been told there will be cost involved in development either way?

A very confused man...any help appreciated

10 Years
Discussion Span
Last Post by Ramy Mahrous

professionally: compare hosting prices and choose the minimum
and about connecting with application, MySQL team developed libraries to work with .net to be like ado.net

me: choose SQL Server it's my beloved RDBMS :)

Cheers Ramy for the reply, always good to get a personal opinion!

So in effect I can use SQL Server, say enterprise edition for free to design and develop my database and then send it up to a service provider and just pay for my site hosting...?

That's illegal to develop with unlicensed software but let talk freely "we'll be arrested :D"

The hosting won't ask you for your license you just give him the application and database files if s/he supports XYZ edition of SQL Server you pay $M you don't care for his/her license you just host and you aren't responsible if he hasn’t license s/he supposed to provide you with software you need as you pay.

aaahh, starting to make some sense. SQL server it is then...Cheers for your help man..

This topic has been dead for over six months. Start a new discussion instead.
Have something to contribute to this discussion? Please be thoughtful, detailed and courteous, and be sure to adhere to our posting rules.