I created a database in Sql Server 2000, unless I made atleast one field in the table as "Unique", I could not insert data into table. But no-where in the documentation , books or Sql server online I could get a text saying we need atleast one Unique Key per table.
If anyone has expertise please confirm this.
Regards
[Sham]

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

are you sure that you inserted it correctly? defenitely there is no rule like that in sql server 2000

are you sure that you inserted it correctly? defenitely there is no rule like that in sql server 2000

Yes I tried several ways, thr' ODBC, thr' ADO recordset, directly using Enterprise Manger etc, I could not insert record anyways.

I could not get anywhere in the Microsoft's help etc but still getting this problem.

Regards
[Sham]

Are you inserting a table or a record? If you are trying to insert a record the table amy have been created with an requirement of one or more of the fields.

In cases like this I find that having a look at the SQL code generated for the table will often turn up some remarkable facts about the table / column in question.

To get this code go into enterprise manager, open the relevant database, open the table list, right click on the table name, choice ALL TASKS, then Generate SQL. The code script generated will be that which would recreate the table and any constraints imposed upon that table or its columns.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.