Hi,
I'm a newbie in MSSQL. But i already tried using mysql.
How can I create a database in mssql. I mean what would be the first step.
I had installed Microsoft SQL Server 2005 along with Microsoft Visual C# Express Edition.
The following are the tools found in Start>Program Files>Microsoft SQL Server 2005> Configuration Tools:
- SQL Server Configuration Manager
- SQL Server Error and Usage Reporting
- SQL Server Surface Area Configuration

Which of the tools above would be used to start creating a database? Or I need to install another MSSQL tool?

Thank you in advance.

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

You've installed Microsoft SQL Server Express Edition which runs from VS, to create Database you need to open VS and create Database and so on...

SQL Server Configuration Manager

Thank you for the reply..
What I want to achieve is I want to create a database. and access it through java...
If I create a database through VS, what would be the database username and password?
and it's corresponding url?

The connection string still the same just create the database and connect it from anywhere. what I've said is you just can create database from VS, after the creation you can access your DB from any application using ConnectionString www.connectionstrings.com

Hi aashi,
There is a tool Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio Express. Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio Express (SSMSE) is a free, easy-to-use graphical management tool for managing SQL Server 2005 Express Edition and SQL Server 2005 Express Edition with Advanced Services.
I know of two easy options to create databases for SQL Server 2005 Express Edition. One is with Visual Studio and the second one is with this tool. But trust me it would be very easy and you will have more control if you use this tool. The tool can be downloaded at http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=c243a5ae-4bd1-4e3d-94b8-5a0f62bf7796&displaylang=en
Sunny :)

Start -> Run
type 'cmd' (without quotes) press enter

at the command prompt type:
>net start "Sql Server (SQLEXPRESS)"
Press enter
This ensures the service is running, if it's already started no problem, if it isn't it should start.

At the next prompt type:
>osql -SCOMPUTERNAME\SQLEXPRESS -E
Press enter - you should get a connection to SQL server the -E means to use Windows Authentication

You now get a OSQL prompt
1>

type this:
1>create database myDB
Press Enter
type:
2>GO
Press enter

Your database will be created.

type
1>exit
Press enter - to quit from OSQL programme
Microsoft Sql Server Management Studio Express is also a good tool for this kind of thing.

And of course as Ramy mentioned Visual Studio's Server Explorer (View menu -> Server Explorer) can be used to create databases. In server explorer expand Servers node, expand your computer node, expand Sql Servers node, right click the Sql Server and choose New Database from the context menu.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.