Anyone know where I can get a free MySQL database so I can start the learning process for myself?

I saw a post listed here for dbfree.net.. that post is old.. that takes you to IX Webhosting.

I signed up for db4free.net but when I goto login it says "Loading" on the web browser and never loads. I waited like 5 minutes. I came back and tried another time. I used Internet Exploer as well as Mozilla, no luck.

I also saw one more website, but signups are currently disabled and who knows when they'll be back.

I just want something I can fool around with to learn.

Recommended Answers

All 14 Replies

If you want to learn MySQL just start doing it. Find a good book or tutorial and build your own database from scratch. I don't know of any 'canned' databases to download. And any I've ever made are not for sale :)

There are sample DB on the MYSQL site.

As nav33n cerectly pointed out, there is MySQL Community Server, that you can download on use for free...

if you have linux at home, just install it from the repositories
if you are unfortunate enough to run windows - get the xampp package

if you are unfortunate enough to run windows - get the xampp package

I do not agree with this part. Why to pull on extra packages (PHP, Apache server, phpMyAdmin) if you want only MySQL?

I do not agree with this part. Why to pull on extra packages (PHP, Apache server, phpMyAdmin) if you want only MySQL?

This is absolutely correct. The original post asked for a 'MySQL database', not the engine itself. Assuming this is really what the person wants, then they presumably already have everything they need to learn SQL ie the mysql client / server package from mysql.com.

One doesn't need anything else to learn how to design relational databases.

bacause firstly it's not that much, secondly, there's a nice wizard installer and the package comes with preinstalled webUI for mysql (phpmysql I think)

bacause firstly it's not that much, secondly, there's a nice wizard installer and the package comes with preinstalled webUI for mysql (phpmysql I think)

you mean phpmyadmin.

yup, that's the one :)

Still unnecessary software that casusal user does not need specialy as Apache after install start on every pc start-up by default and just add its little to slow start-up process. Just take it as MSN messinger on background is for many of them more important then Apache...

xampp can be set to run as a service or not, as well as it's subservices - apache, mysql, ftp...

hi

just go to google and write "mysql"+"freedownload" u will get lots of free download site select suitable one and install it

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.