Anyone know where I can get a free MySQL database so I can start the learning process for myself?

I saw a post listed here for dbfree.net.. that post is old.. that takes you to IX Webhosting.

I signed up for db4free.net but when I goto login it says "Loading" on the web browser and never loads. I waited like 5 minutes. I came back and tried another time. I used Internet Exploer as well as Mozilla, no luck.

I also saw one more website, but signups are currently disabled and who knows when they'll be back.

I just want something I can fool around with to learn.

Contributors
Replies
Views
9 Years
Discussion Span
Last Post by werks

If you want to learn MySQL just start doing it. Find a good book or tutorial and build your own database from scratch. I don't know of any 'canned' databases to download. And any I've ever made are not for sale :)

if you have linux at home, just install it from the repositories
if you are unfortunate enough to run windows - get the xampp package

if you are unfortunate enough to run windows - get the xampp package

I do not agree with this part. Why to pull on extra packages (PHP, Apache server, phpMyAdmin) if you want only MySQL?

I do not agree with this part. Why to pull on extra packages (PHP, Apache server, phpMyAdmin) if you want only MySQL?

This is absolutely correct. The original post asked for a 'MySQL database', not the engine itself. Assuming this is really what the person wants, then they presumably already have everything they need to learn SQL ie the mysql client / server package from mysql.com.

One doesn't need anything else to learn how to design relational databases.

bacause firstly it's not that much, secondly, there's a nice wizard installer and the package comes with preinstalled webUI for mysql (phpmysql I think)

bacause firstly it's not that much, secondly, there's a nice wizard installer and the package comes with preinstalled webUI for mysql (phpmysql I think)

you mean phpmyadmin.

Still unnecessary software that casusal user does not need specialy as Apache after install start on every pc start-up by default and just add its little to slow start-up process. Just take it as MSN messinger on background is for many of them more important then Apache...

hi

just go to google and write "mysql"+"freedownload" u will get lots of free download site select suitable one and install it

This topic has been dead for over six months. Start a new discussion instead.
Have something to contribute to this discussion? Please be thoughtful, detailed and courteous, and be sure to adhere to our posting rules.