I cannot get mysql working. This is a Fedora Core 2 installation, I tried installing mysql with yum (it installed the 3.23 version, I dont want that). I tried upgrading, that did not go so well. I tried installing from the binaries, well, that didnt go to well either. So this is from the source installation.

this is the error I got whilst installing:

[root@localhost mysql]# bin/mysql_install_db --user=mysql Installing all prepared tables ERROR: 1062 Duplicate entry 'localhost-root' for key 1 ERROR: 1062 Duplicate entry 'localhost-' for key 1 Fill help tables ERROR: 1064 You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near '' at line 1 051218 19:28:40 [ERROR] Aborting 051218 19:28:40 [Note] /usr/local/mysql/libexec/mysqld: Shutdown complete bin/mysql_install_db: line 299: 18218 Broken pipe cat $fill_help_tables WARNING: HELP FILES ARE NOT COMPLETELY INSTALLED! The "HELP" command might not work properly To start mysqld at boot time you have to copy support-files/mysql.server to the right place for your system PLEASE REMEMBER TO SET A PASSWORD FOR THE MySQL root USER ! To do so, start the server, then issue the following commands: /usr/local/mysql/bin/mysqladmin -u root password 'new-password' /usr/local/mysql/bin/mysqladmin -u root -h localhost password 'new-password' See the manual for more instructions. You can start the MySQL daemon with: cd /usr/local/mysql ; /usr/local/mysql/bin/mysqld_safe & You can test the MySQL daemon with the benchmarks in the 'sql-bench' directory: cd sql-bench ; perl run-all-tests Please report any problems with the /usr/local/mysql/bin/mysqlbug script! The latest information about MySQL is available on the web at http://www.mysql.com Support MySQL by buying support/licenses at https://order.mysql.com

and here is the error I get when I try to start it:

[root@localhost mysql]# bin/mysqld_safe --user=mysql Starting mysqld daemon with databases from /usr/local/mysql/var STOPPING server from pid file /usr/local/mysql/var/localhost.pid 051218 19:49:45 mysqld ended

Anyone have a take on this?

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

sure sounds like your previous install left tables sitting around and now you can't set up the default tables that mysql needs for your new install. I'd start over and find where your tables are hanging out /var/lib/mysql maybe? Make sure you have no tables when you install again.

[root@localhost mysql]# bin/mysql_install_db --user=mysql Installing all prepared tables ERROR: 1062 Duplicate entry 'localhost-root' for key 1 ERROR: 1062 Duplicate entry 'localhost-' for key 1 Fill help tables ERROR: 1064 You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near '' at line 1 051218 19:28:40 [ERROR] Aborting 051218 19:28:40 [Note] /usr/local/mysql/libexec/mysqld: Shutdown complete bin/mysql_install_db: line 299: 18218 Broken pipe cat $fill_help_tables WARNING: HELP FILES ARE NOT COMPLETELY INSTALLED! The "HELP" command might not work properly To start mysqld at boot time you have to copy support-files/mysql.server to the right place for your system PLEASE REMEMBER TO SET A PASSWORD FOR THE MySQL root USER ! To do so, start the server, then issue the following commands: /usr/local/mysql/bin/mysqladmin -u root password 'new-password' /usr/local/mysql/bin/mysqladmin -u root -h localhost password 'new-password' See the manual for more instructions. You can start the MySQL daemon with: cd /usr/local/mysql ; /usr/local/mysql/bin/mysqld_safe & You can test the MySQL daemon with the benchmarks in the 'sql-bench' directory: cd sql-bench ; perl run-all-tests Please report any problems with the /usr/local/mysql/bin/mysqlbug script! The latest information about MySQL is available on the web at http://www.mysql.com Support MySQL by buying support/licenses at https://order.mysql.com

and here is the error I get when I try to start it:

[root@localhost mysql]# bin/mysqld_safe --user=mysql Starting mysqld daemon with databases from /usr/local/mysql/var STOPPING server from pid file /usr/local/mysql/var/localhost.pid 051218 19:49:45 mysqld ended

Anyone have a take on this?

one of the problems I had was I didnt know where mysql was keeping its data and files. although I had used the /usr/local prefix, there was files elsewhere. I did not know that.

Now I do, and now I have a working 5.0 installation. :)

I had to delete all files related to mysql to get 5.0 to work correctly.

try using following command

/usr/local/mysql/bin/mysql_install_db --use=mysql --datadir=/usr/local/mysql/data

i think it should solve your problem.....

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.