Hie there

what does it stand for abbreviation

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

structured query language

Structured Query Language (SQL), pronounced "sequel", is a language that provides an interface to relational database systems.

Just an additional note about the pronunciation of "MySQL":

From http://forge.mysql.com/wiki/MySQLFAQ

How do I pronounce MySQL?

MySQL is pronounced "My Ess Que Ell" ("My S Q L"). But we're friendly people, so we don't get angry if people say "Mysequel".

;-)

People have their own way of doing/saying things... I always say, My-ESS-QUE-ELL (MySQL), but some other people I know insist on MySEQUEL (MySQL).

SEQUEL was predecessor of SQL. The Structured English QUEry Language, developed for System R by Boyce at IBM La Jolla Ca. in the early 1970. IBM changed SEQUEL to SQL due to legal reasons (British company of same name didn’t allow IBM to use this brand). Today IBM-guys pronounce SQL still SEE-QUEL. Rest of world usually pronounce it ESS-QUE-ELL. I personally prefer ESS-QUE-ELL. Well, MY-SEE-QUEL sounds somehow kind of factitious to me.

Well, MY-SEE-QUEL sounds somehow kind of factitious to me.

not as bad as postgresql (post-gres-q-l), commonly shortened to postgres

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.