Hi all,

Just a quick question:

I have my website done and the database I used is MS Access.
Problem is MS Access' return of results are really really really slow.
Now I want to shift to SQL server, but the web hosting site we paid does not support this kind of database.
Is it possible that my domain and database are of different web hosting site?
I mean, If I would pay for another web hosting with SQL Server,
Can I use it as my database storage for my domain which is on another Web hosting site?

Many many thanks for the response!

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

yes you can do that, but that will probably even be slower, less secure, and just a messy thing to deal with

normally hosting providers will give you access or mysql for a lower price, and then you have to pay a slightly higher price for sql server, are you not able to upgrade your hosting plan?

Hi,
Thanks for the response!
Really? it would be slower?
Well, unfortunately it cannot be upgraded.

I have seen a hosting site and their web server and database server are separated. Would it still be slower if I use their database server?

thanks for the response!
really appreciated! :)

yes you can do that, but that will probably even be slower, less secure, and just a messy thing to deal with

normally hosting providers will give you access or mysql for a lower price, and then you have to pay a slightly higher price for sql server, are you not able to upgrade your hosting plan?

I can't say for sure if it would be or not. The main part of the slowdown is accessing an external network through the internet, rather than it being just on a different computer in the same network. The hosting sites that offer separated web and database servers are on the same ntework. This allows the web server to just use its resources on hosting pages and db server for just doing db operations. I would go as far as to say as almost always when a plan is sold with web and database, the servers are on the same internal network which the speed would be very fast.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.