As the title suggests, I'm having trouble sorting the results of a union statement. I'm trying to sort the results by date descending and it's coming out ascending.

(SELECT a, b, c, d, e, f, date FROM table1 WHERE a=10 AND b=1) UNION (SELECT a, b, c, d, e, f, date FROM table1 WHERE a=11 AND b=1) ORDER BY date DESC;

I'm selecting all the same rows from the same table. The reason I'm using a UNION statement is because I have 3 different WHERE conditions.

This really should work and I've gone over my code with a fine tooth comb. It's driving me crazy. Anyone have any suggestions?

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

Try this

Select a,b,c,d,e,f from 
(
 (SELECT a, b, c, d, e, f, DATE 
  FROM table1 WHERE a=10 AND b=1) 
  UNION 
  FROM table1 WHERE a=11 AND b=1) 
)
  ORDER BY DATE DESC

You need to encapsulate the whole union to order them after all the records are retrieved.

Try this

Select a,b,c,d,e,f from 
(
  FROM table1 WHERE a=10 AND b=1) 
  UNION 
  FROM table1 WHERE a=11 AND b=1) 
)
  ORDER BY DATE DESC

You need to encapsulate the whole union to order them after all the records are retrieved.

Hi cgyrob

Thanks for the response. My original statement is actually correct. I was being blonde and didn't change a class variable on my display page which was causing the issues.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.