I've been trying to learn how to program for several years now. I've struggled with everything from C++, C#, to Python, but never got passed simple DOS text based screen programs that were very short. I'M now 24 and I work in a factory. I would love to find a carer filed with computers, but I'll take anything with heat and air.
I've heard that database programming is an easier thing to learn that general programming and that there is money to be made.
So my question is, is SQL/MySQL the right place for me to be and get started? And how long much learning will it take to get a job? Thanks for any and all answers.

learning the code will probably take you a year max but you should also learn about database concepts and principles (eg. normalization, database integrity, design etc)
the problem though is that it might be a bit difficult to find a job with only sql knowledge as sql on it own is not very functional that why it's situated at the back end and you would usually have a front end system (C#, C++,java, python etc) that utilises and interacts with the database. the company that i work for currently has a setup that has database programmers that exclusively work with programming packages, function, triggers, queries and the system developers that do the front end.
I suggest learning Oracle pl/sql you are most likely to find a job with that qualifications and you can use that a background knowledge to teach yourself MySQL.

I've been trying to learn how to program for several years now. I've struggled with everything from C++, C#, to Python, but never got passed simple DOS text based screen programs that were very short. I'M now 24 and I work in a factory. I would love to find a carer filed with computers, but I'll take anything with heat and air.
I've heard that database programming is an easier thing to learn that general programming and that there is money to be made.
So my question is, is SQL/MySQL the right place for me to be and get started? And how long much learning will it take to get a job? Thanks for any and all answers.

I'm getting my degree in IT but I still don't know for sure what I'm going to be good at. There a lot of options to choose from, I'm doing the programming classes now and I love them. The only ones I've done is C ++ and SQL after that I have to do JAVA, Visual basic and some more... I can't wait...

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.