Hi, i was wondering how if it is possible to enter a large amount of information into mysql database easily. I have about 15,000 rows that i have to enter and i would like to know if there is a way anyone knows to enter it fast rather than entering it one by one. I have to enter it through the phpmyadmin panel by the way not by php script.

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

Member Avatar for 1stDAN

Would it be possible to show some examples? Pls, not all of your 15000 rows but just a handful of them. What do you mean with "by the way"? Are you able to do some programming in c c++ java or any other language?

If you are capable, I suggest that you write program which reads in all your 15000 rows and then generates lines like INSERT INTO yourtable (columns list) values (values list); For each of your rows you want to insert. There should also be some further configuration done on your database to switch of all constraints prior doing such bulk insertion to keep execution time low.

I am using php but i was just wondering if there was a way to add a bunch of information from the sql panel rather than doing it by php script.

Member Avatar for 1stDAN

Of course, you don't need to do this using php. If you have to do bulk insert, php isn't a good idea. Every database has its own mechanism for bulk insert, as for example mysql has load data infile. You simple has to create a text file for load data by means of any programming language. Also commandline mysqlimport can be used which generates load data statements.

thanks a lot. I got it now.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.