I added a user to my database ijdb for a project i am doing and have tried repeatedly to delete them with no luck. The user is jess;
mysql>GRANT SELECT ON ijdb.*
->TO [email]jess@"%.host.net[/email]"
->IDENTIFIED BY "jessrules";
mysql>GRANT UPDATE (name, email) ON ijdb.author
->TO [email]jess@"%.host.net[/email]";

I have tryed DELETE, and DROP USER.............etc.
no luck.

Can someone please help!

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

Perhaps you have no rights to delete a user. You can try to revoke all rights for the user, the effect would be the same.

mysql> delete from table name where name= 'jess';
qeuery OK, 1 row effected(0.00 sec)[/B]

The above example will delete the record of the student jess from the table.

I am doing this project myself and have created this database so yes I do have the right to delete the user. But I have A BIGGER problem I need to backup the database I created and don't know how. Does anyone know how to back up my ijdb?

hi angel

We are just discussing similar stuff on another thread. What about your former problems, alreday solved?

-- tesu

mysql> GRANT SELECT ON daniweb.people TO jess@localhost IDENTIFIED BY "jessrules";
Query OK, 0 rows affected (0.00 sec)

mysql> select User from mysql.user;
+------------------+
| User             |
+------------------+
| root             | 
| root             | 
| david            | 
| debian-sys-maint | 
| jess             | 
| root             | 
+------------------+
6 rows in set (0.00 sec)

mysql> DELETE FROM mysql.user where User = 'jess';
Query OK, 1 row affected (0.00 sec)

mysql> select User from mysql.user;
+------------------+
| User             |
+------------------+
| root             | 
| root             | 
| david            | 
| debian-sys-maint | 
| root             | 
+------------------+
5 rows in set (0.00 sec)

mysql>

I am doing this project myself and have created this database so yes I do have the right to delete the user. But I have A BIGGER problem I need to backup the database I created and don't know how. Does anyone know how to back up my ijdb?

At the shell prompt mysqldump -u david -p daniweb > dw.sql It will prompt you for your password and when you enter it your database (mine is called 'daniweb') will be backed up into dw.sql, or whatever you want to call your backup file. The contents of the backup file will contain all the SQL commands to create the tables and insert all the data, etc. You can view it with any text editor.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.