Hi All,
I am working on a booking system for vacation rental properties. I have two (simplified) tables properties and propertyAvailability:

properties:-
propID
propName

propertyAvailability:-
propID
dayOfTheYear
availabilityStatus

Rather than use dates for the bookings I convert everything to dayOfTheYear (using ColdFusion) and each DOTY for each property has a status of either 0 for available or 1 for booked.

I am trying to search availability and pull out properties that have full availability for a given period. In pseudo-code it goes something like this:

SELECT propID FROM propertyAvailability
WHERE
dayOfTheYear BETWEEN doty1 AND doty2,
AND
availabilityStatus FOR ALL OF THOSE RECORDS IS 0
GROUP BY propID;

I have been racking my brain but I can't come up with an efficient way to implement this query. I can get the result I need but I am using four queries to get there and I strongly suspect it could be done a whole lot more efficiently and elegantly.

Thanks on advance for any help.
Paul.

Contributors
Replies
Views
6 Years
Discussion Span
Last Post by FlyByNight73

Hello,

Off the top of my head how about if you sum the availability status and select only those where the sum is 0.

Hello,

Off the top of my head how about if you sum the availability status and select only those where the sum is 0.

Great idea, thank you. Here's what I ended up with:

SELECT propID, SUM(availabilityStatus) AS sumAvail
FROM propertyAvailability
WHERE dayOfTheYear BETWEEN 30 AND 37
GROUP BY propRef
HAVING sumAvail = 0;

Seems to work but I'll be putting it through it's paces just to be sure. I am a real novice at SQL but the more I use it the more I see the potential power of it.

Thanks again,
Paul.

This question has already been answered. Start a new discussion instead.
Have something to contribute to this discussion? Please be thoughtful, detailed and courteous, and be sure to adhere to our posting rules.