I have an inventory database that I designed about a year ago now. It has preformed great for me but I am getting ready to develop version 2 of the front end. This has got me thinking about possible database redesigns too and I am a bit confused about what the best approach is for this. Here is the scenario. We have Several product categories

[Categories]
Computer
Router
Monitor
Cellular

Each category has different properties associated with it. Because of this I thought it best to create a table for each. The issue lies in when I need to add a new category it becomes rather cumbersome to due so. Is there a good way to design a database that allows something like this? Or am I stuck manually creating a table and writing more code every category addition?

Contributors
Views
6 Years
Discussion Span
Last Post by pritaeas

If all your properties are stored as string values, then you could use a table to link categories and properties. You'd have a table for categories, one for property definition, another one linking them together, and one data table, linking category, property and value to your product.

This topic has been dead for over six months. Start a new discussion instead.
Have something to contribute to this discussion? Please be thoughtful, detailed and courteous, and be sure to adhere to our posting rules.