Hi everyone,

I need help in determining functional dependencies of the given entity sets below. I have also included my answers, please check and advice.

Thank you.

[B]OWNER[/B] ([B][U]Owner_SSN[/U][/B], Owner_Name, Owner_Address, {Owner_TelNo})

Owner_SSN -> Owner_Name
Owner_Name -> Owner_Address, Owner_TelNo

[B]CAR[/B] ([U][B]Car_RegNo[/B][/U], Car_Make, Car_Model, Production_Year, First_Registration, Fuel_Type, Pax_Capacity, First_Purchase_Price, Original_Price)

Car_RegNO -> Car_Make, Car_Model 
Car_Model -> Car_Make
Car_Make, Car_Model -> Fuel_Type, Pax_Capacity
Production_Year, Car_Make, Car_Model -> First_Purchase_Price, Original_Price
Production_Year -> First_Registration

[B]OWNERSHIP[/B] ([B][U]Owner_SSN[/U][/B], Car_RegNo, Owner_Number, Owner_From, Owned_To)

Owner_SSN -> Car_RegNo
Owner_From, Owned_To -> Owner_Number

[B]ACCIDENT_HISTORY[/B] ([B][U]Accident_HistoryID[/U][/B], Accident_Detail, Accident_Date, Accident_Repair_Cost)

Accident_HistoryID -> Accident_Date
Accident_Date -> Accident_Detail, Accident_Repair_Cost
Accident_Detail -> Accident_Repair_Cost

[B]TRAFFIC_VIOLATION[/B] ([U][B]Traffic_ReportNo[/B][/U], Violation_Date, Penalty_Type, Driver_Name, Driver_License_No)

Traffic_ReportNo -> Violation_Date
Driver_License_No -> Driver_Name

[B]INSURANCE[/B] ([U][B]Policy_No[/B][/U], Insurance_CommencementDate, Policy_RenewalDate, Policy_Amount, Claim_Date, Claim_Amount)

Policy_No -> Insurance_CommencementDate
Insurance_CommencementDate -> Policy_RenewalDate

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

I really do not understand the way this question is framed.

What exactly you are trying to explain / ask ?

I have to identify all functional dependencies available in the case study.

The case study is for a second hand car dealership that wants to record in its database the following information.

Details about the cars, the owners of the cars ( present and past), car insurance, accidents, traffic violation and car service record.

Data required for cars are: registration number, make, model, year of production, first registration data, fuel type, capacity (number of passengers), first purchase price and original price.

Owners details required are: owner number (1st, 2nd, 3rd etc), name, address, telephone number and periods of owning the car (From-date and To-date).

Insurance details required are: date of commencement, renewal date, policy amount, insurance claim, date of claim and amount claimed.

Service record detail are: service dates, service type, garage name, addresses, parts replaced and parts detail.

Accidents history detail are: accident date, accident description and cost of repair.

Traffic violation detail are: report number, drivers detail (name and License number), date of violation and type of penalty.

I have attempted to identify all the functional dependencies from the given case study.

Owner_SSN -> Owner_Name
Owner_Name -> Owner_Address, Owner_TelNo
Car_RegNO -> Car_Make, Car_Model 
Car_Model -> Car_Make
Car_Make, Car_Model -> Fuel_Type, Pax_Capacity
Production_Year, Car_Make, Car_Model -> First_Purchase_Price, Original_Price
Production_Year -> First_Registration
Owner_SSN -> Car_RegNo
Owner_From, Owned_To -> Owner_Number
Accident_HistoryID -> Accident_Date
Accident_Date -> Accident_Detail, Accident_Repair_Cost
Accident_Detail -> Accident_Repair_Cost
Traffic_ReportNo -> Violation_Date
Driver_License_No -> Driver_Name
Policy_No -> Insurance_CommencementDate
Insurance_CommencementDate -> Policy_RenewalDate

I would like to ask the DB experts out there to verify and advice me if I have satisfied the question in identifying all the functional dependencies.

I really do not understand the way this question is framed.

What exactly you are trying to explain / ask ?

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.