-----------------------------------------------------------------
Nick | 12 | 12-02-2011 | 0 | 1
Sam | 14 | 13-02-2011 | 1 | 1
Paul | 12 | 14-02-2011 | 1 | 1
Jwal | 12 | 13-02-2011 | 1 | 1
------------------------------------------------------------------

I want to select using "DISTINCT" I wrote a query as follows

select distinct idNo from table where entrytype='1' order by started LIMIT 0,10

Working but I is not sorting the values according to "started" ( I mean by date )

The following query will sorting the data according to date ..
But I need distinct values .. Please help

select * from table where entrytype='1' order by started LIMIT 0,10

Thanks in advance
Rajeesh

Recommended Answers

Your problem is bad database design. By which value would you like the aggregate row with idNo 12 to be sorted - 12, 13, or 14/02/2011?
You cannot have distinct rows as a GROUP BY result and at the same time retrieve the non-grouped values separately. The non-grouped values disappear …

Jump to Post

All 2 Replies

Your problem is bad database design. By which value would you like the aggregate row with idNo 12 to be sorted - 12, 13, or 14/02/2011?
You cannot have distinct rows as a GROUP BY result and at the same time retrieve the non-grouped values separately. The non-grouped values disappear in any query result with aggregate functions. MySQL does a bad job here by displaying randomly just the first non-aggregate field content it encounters.

commented: agree +9

try this ordering

SELECT DISTINCT idNo FROM table WHERE entrytype='1' ORDER BY started asc, started LIMIT 0,10

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of 1.20 million developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts learning and sharing knowledge.