Hi all
The problem is the following :

• I am in a project that contains a table of users(user_tbl) and another table of groups(Group_tbl) . and each group can contains multi-user by

Group_Id which is foreign key in user_tbl .

• I am now about creating a trigger that happens when inserting in permissions_tbl (contains users and group permissions) . It should insert all users of the inserted group into the permissions_tbl also with the same values the group taked.
  • So , I need Loops very much to loop in the user_tbl and get the users of the inserted group then insert them in the permissions_tbl .

I wish if some one can help me .
Thank you very much

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

Boy you need to reed up on the relational model and set-theory. Loops don't belong in an RDBMS. (except in VERY exceptional circumstances)

Google or search some of these terms and start reading.

You don't need a trigger or a loop Yuck!

If you can supply more details on structure of your table and sample data, and what you need the result to be I could give you example TSQL code to do it.

INSERT INTO
             permisions_tbl (userid) 
            SELECT
                    userid 
            FROM
                    user_tbl 
           WHERE 
                    groupid = @groupid

Thank you very much
i will try that
but in general , how can i loop through a result set from a select statement in a trigger or in a stored procedures , that is needed for checking values and other comparisons when looping
Thanks

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.