Hi all,

Quick one for you, designing a bit of software in VB.net for a company that inputs data into an mdb file and then uses a web service to take this data an insert into an SQL server 2008 R2 database. I know I can have to instances of vb express running, one with the app and one with the web service in, the question is how can I create a SQL database on my computer and test as if I was running in real environment?

I cant afford to actually buy SQL server 2008 and I dont think I need to do I? The issue is the company is asking me if I can script the database rather than them go through and create all the tables and fields individually. I have downloaded what I thought was a free version of SQL server 2008 R2 but the only thing I seem to have is configuration tools > Installation Centre?

Cheers for your help in advance.
Will

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

You need to install the SQL Management studio to manage SQL Express.

JorgeM is right, you have to install both SQL Server Express and SQL Server Express Managment Studio.

Cheers for that guys, is it relatively straight forward to create and script a database from there?
Cheers
Will

Yes of course. If you have used SQL Management Studio to manage any version of MS SQL, managing SQL Express is done in the same manner as the Enterprise editions. All of the basics with regard to creating DBs, tables, scripting, etc.. is done exactly the same.

Cheers, will give it a got tomorrow evening and come back when I get stuck lol :(|)

Cheers
Will

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.