was directed here by another member...great site!

(am a newbie and I recently posted this on MSDN with 0 replies, am hoping someone can help here - you do not need to know VFP, just need help formatted a correct string that ASP will honor),

Current Setup:

Using:
Visual Web Developer Express
SQL Express
IIS 6.0 with .Net 2.0 Installed
Visual Foxpro

I actually have two questions (but am making good progress so will focus on the issue at hand).

1. I setup a Login.aspx / Default.aspx / Register.apsx / Membership.aspx as specified in the examples in MSDN...all is working ok.

2. When I register a new user, I wanted to capture their Customer ID during login to store in their Membership view table. I did this and is working ok....and to make it easy, am storing the value in Comments field.

3. I want to query a Visual Fox free table (DBF) that contains my client's Customer Invoice data...and have the ODBC Connection setup and working properly.

Here's the problem....

I'm having trouble formulating the SELECT string within the asp code to capture the Membership.Comments field.

I need the proper functions to grab the Comments field data and then use it within my select statement.

Presently, the query works if I just hard-code the value i.e.

"SELECT * from [invdata] WHERE cus_no = '1' "

I need to replace the '1' with the comments field data.

On a side issue: it took me days to just to get this all working to where it is...does anyone have a detailed example of how to Login to a site and pass the parms to another page to query the Logged In user's data from a database......a real world example that I have yet to see highlighted anywhere in the Forums or books I've bought.

For example: I am customer ABC123, I log in to my vendor's site and want to see all my orders placed.

Jeff,

Does Membership.Comments contain only the value corresponding to invdata.cus_no? Or does it contain other verbiage?

If it only contains the customer number, your code could look like this:

LOCAL lcCustomerNo 
lcCustomerNo = ALLTRIM(membership.comments) 
"SELECT * from [invdata] WHERE cus_no = lcCustomerNo "

-Dave Martin

was directed here by another member...great site!

(am a newbie and I recently posted this on MSDN with 0 replies, am hoping someone can help here - you do not need to know VFP, just need help formatted a correct string that ASP will honor),

Current Setup:

Using:
Visual Web Developer Express
SQL Express
IIS 6.0 with .Net 2.0 Installed
Visual Foxpro

I actually have two questions (but am making good progress so will focus on the issue at hand).

1. I setup a Login.aspx / Default.aspx / Register.apsx / Membership.aspx as specified in the examples in MSDN...all is working ok.

2. When I register a new user, I wanted to capture their Customer ID during login to store in their Membership view table. I did this and is working ok....and to make it easy, am storing the value in Comments field.

3. I want to query a Visual Fox free table (DBF) that contains my client's Customer Invoice data...and have the ODBC Connection setup and working properly.

Here's the problem....

I'm having trouble formulating the SELECT string within the asp code to capture the Membership.Comments field.

I need the proper functions to grab the Comments field data and then use it within my select statement.

Presently, the query works if I just hard-code the value i.e.

"SELECT * from [invdata] WHERE cus_no = '1' "

I need to replace the '1' with the comments field data.

On a side issue: it took me days to just to get this all working to where it is...does anyone have a detailed example of how to Login to a site and pass the parms to another page to query the Logged In user's data from a database......a real world example that I have yet to see highlighted anywhere in the Forums or books I've bought.

For example: I am customer ABC123, I log in to my vendor's site and want to see all my orders placed.

You need a "dynamic" method. Place a textbox on your webform and with it, for example, you can do this on your sql select statement:

<script runat="server">

Protected Sub Button1_Click(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs)

Dim cmd As New SqlCommand

cmd.CommandType = CommandType.Text
        cmd.CommandText = "SELECT * from [invdata] WHERE cus_no =" & txtMyTextBox.Text

cmd.Connection = conn

End Sub
</script>

-Arturo Rivas
San Rafael, CA

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.