i am in severe need of help right now, anyone who has an idea, throw it out. i have visual studio .net 2003 just in canse it makes a difference. i am still working on my classes special project and am a lot closer. right now i have it look like this
http://s252.photobucket.com/albums/hh13/xjnx/
and right now i have just like 1/10 of the classes on there, lol, ill start over and add all of them after i figure out how im going to make this work, ok heres my questions

1. how can i make it to search through the student id's instead of forced to look through one at a time, because as far as i know, it doesnt order them by id's and they will have to search through literally thousands.

2. how and what coding can i use to make the add button pop up a new window with the name(first,middle, and last) and student id so when they click the ok in the new window, it then adds it to the database, because right now when they click the add button, it will set the record number up one, but they cant seem to access it. it just wont cut me any slack. heres my coding so far(sry if it dosnt look right, first time im trying to use the code thing)

Try
                      Me.BindingContext(objds1, "All it is").EndCurrentEdit()
            Me.BindingContext(objds1, "All it is").AddNew()
        Catch eEndEdit As System.Exception
            System.Windows.Forms.MessageBox.Show(eEndEdit.Message)
        End Try
        Me.objds1_PositionChanged()

3. is there a way i can make it so they can click a button and it will pop up a report type page where, based one which person it was on and what classes they have, the report will have a checked of the classes and i can add more to the report because this sheet right now has only classes, well the classes are a sub of different clusers of the business group the school provides, so im hoping the report will say like the name, the different clusters, and list all the classes of each cluster and checked the classes theyve taken.

pls help.

p.s. for any of you who remember my other posts, i finally got the update button to work, im using this code, pls tell me if it is good or bad.

Try
                       Me.UpdateDataSet()
        Catch eUpdate As System.Exception
                      System.Windows.Forms.MessageBox.Show(eUpdate.Message)
        End Try
        Me.objds1_PositionChanged()
        MsgBox("Information Updated")

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

sorry, didnt know how to edit other post, here is a little update, right now i have all the classes my teacher gave me to put on there, heres the updated form.
i still need help with the other questions above but i ran into another problem so here it is.

4. if the school gets new classes, how can i make a button to add the class to the list to be checkmarked?

sorry, didnt know how to edit other post, here is a little update, right now i have all the classes my teacher gave me to put on there, heres the updated form.
i still need help with the other questions above but i ran into another problem so here it is.

4. if the school gets new classes, how can i make a button to add the class to the list to be checkmarked?

You have to use a looping statement to look through all the records in the database by a particular criteria, usually the primary key or some other distinct information in the database. If you're looking for multiple records to loop through and you need more than one field from the database, you might need to look at a nesting loop.

If you're in school, this maybe above where you are currently in your classes, as it's basic, but it's also advanced.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.