How is a string vector array declared using a Form application ?

This seems to work for int in a Form Application:

std::vector<int> Value(10);

But if you change int to string in the same example the compiler
says that 'std::vector' : class has no constructors

Re: Array 80 80

It isn't complaining about the std::vector class, but the string class, which doesn't exist.

Make sure you say: std::vector<std::string> Value(10); Hope this helps.

yes that worked great...thanks. The compiler said that string also not was declared so std:: was the trick.

I have:
Directory::GetFiles(Files,"*.txt");

Files is in a format: cli::array<Type,dimension> ^

How could Files be converted to System::string ^

It isn't complaining about the std::vector class, but the string class, which doesn't exist.

Make sure you say: std::vector<std::string> Value(10); Hope this helps.

Alas, I've never played with MFC.

I wonder if you wanted a vector of System::String? std::vector<[B]S[/B]tring> Value(10); (Case matters.)

Okay I see, std::string was fine.
I have a big problem with this conversion from cli::array<type,dimension> to System::string ^. See if anyone have any idea to that.

Alas, I've never played with MFC.

I wonder if you wanted a vector of System::String? std::vector<[B]S[/B]tring> Value(10); (Case matters.)

> I have: Directory::GetFiles(Files,"*.txt");
> Files is in a format: cli::array<Type,dimension> ^
> How could Files be converted to System::string ^

presumably, the Type in cli::array<Type,dimension> is wchar_t and the dimension is 1.
all cli array types derive from System::Array and you could directly use the constructor of a System::String that accepts a Char[] . http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ttyxaek9.aspx

alternatively, you could use the static array<String^>^ GetFiles( String^ path ) http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/07wt70x2.aspx which will return an array of *all* files in the directory. you could then test each file name to see if it ends in ".txt" by using bool System::String::EndsWith( System::String^ ) http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/2333wewz.aspx

Thanks for the answer. I have red these examples many times without really understand exactly what is needed. From what I am doing in my code I cant find what I am doing wrong:
From what I can understand I am saving Files to on array of System::string ^ but unfortunately I do not as the compiler still says that:

cannot convert parameter 1 from 'cli::array<Type> ^' to 'System::string ^'

I have struggling with this for a week and red every example on the net. What is missing in my code ?
Thanks in advance!

folderBrowserDialog1->ShowDialog();
System::String ^ Files = folderBrowserDialog1->SelectedPath; 

array<System::String ^> ^ files4 = System::IO::Directory::GetFiles(Files,"*.txt");

this->textBox1->Text = files4;

> I have: Directory::GetFiles(Files,"*.txt");
> Files is in a format: cli::array<Type,dimension> ^
> How could Files be converted to System::string ^

presumably, the Type in cli::array<Type,dimension> is wchar_t and the dimension is 1.
all cli array types derive from System::Array and you could directly use the constructor of a System::String that accepts a Char[] . http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ttyxaek9.aspx

alternatively, you could use the static array<String^>^ GetFiles( String^ path ) http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/07wt70x2.aspx which will return an array of *all* files in the directory. you could then test each file name to see if it ends in ".txt" by using bool System::String::EndsWith( System::String^ ) http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/2333wewz.aspx

> What is missing in my code ?
the Text property of the ListControl is a System::String.
(it represents the currently selected string of the list control).
the variable file4 is an array of System::String ie. cli::array< System::String ^ > ^
if you want to set the selected string into the first element of this array, you could write

if( file4.Length > 0 )
     this->textBox1->Text = files4[0] ;

Wow! That worked really great. Thank You very much.
Next step is to put all .txt files that is in that choosen folder in the textBox1 under eachother "\n"

I have tried this with a foor loop like this. I have 4 files in the folder I am opening. With this code I will put the second file in the folder to the textBox1.
I dont know if this code works but writes over every file catched with the for loop because "\n" is not happening in the textBox1
Am I thinking right here ?:
Thank you...

array<System::String ^> ^ files4 = System::IO::Directory::GetFiles(Files,"*.txt");

for (int count = 0; count < 2; count++)

{
		if( files4->Length > 0 )
		this->textBox1->Text = files4[count] ;
		}

Thanks for the answer. I have red these examples many times without really understand exactly what is needed. From what I am doing in my code I cant find what I am doing wrong:
From what I can understand I am saving Files to on array of System::string ^ but unfortunately I do not as the compiler still says that:

I have struggling with this for a week and red every example on the net. What is missing in my code ?
Thanks in advance!

Wow! That worked really great. Thank You very much.
Next step is to put all .txt files that is in that choosen folder in the textBox1 under eachother "\n"

I have tried this with a foor loop like this. I have 4 files in the folder I am opening. With this code the second file in the folder is opened. I dont know if this code works but writes over every file catched with the for loop because "\n" is not happening in the textBox1
Am I thinking right here ?:
Thank you...

for (int count = 0; count < 2; count++)

{
		if( files4->Length > 0 )
		this->textBox1->Text = files4[count] ;
		}

Thanks in advance!

if( files4->Length > 0 )
{
  System::String ^ text =  files4[0] ;
  for( int i = 1 ; i < files4.Length ; ++i )
      text += System::Environment::NewLine + files4[i] ;
  this->textBox1->Multiline = true ; // if not multiline
  this->textBox1->WordWrap = false ; // if required
  this->textBox1->Text = text ;
}

This really worked great !!! Big thanks for this. I will look out this logic in detail how it works.

/j

if( files4->Length > 0 )
{
  System::String ^ text =  files4[0] ;
  for( int i = 1 ; i < files4.Length ; ++i )
      text += System::Environment::NewLine + files4[i] ;
  this->textBox1->Multiline = true ; // if not multiline
  this->textBox1->WordWrap = false ; // if required
  this->textBox1->Text = text ;
}
Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of 1.19 million developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts learning and sharing knowledge.