can anyone plz help me out..to make a text editor in C...
i dun even know where to start with...
it should perform basic functions like moving cursor up and down..
cut,copy,paste,delete,moving to a new line on a enter etc..

Recommended Answers

All 13 Replies

can anyone plz help me out..to make a text editor in C...
i dun even know where to start with...

Make sure you implement a spell checker. It appears you can make use of it.

You need to post your code in order for us to get an idea of what you know.

If you are using MS-Windows GUI then one of the commond standard M$ controls is a text editor (edit control). It may not do everything you would want it to do but does all the basic work.

If you don't want to (or can't) use that then you will have to tell us what operating system and compiler you are using. pcurses or dcurses library will make wring a text editor a great deal easier.

hey actually i have to design a text editor in turbo C..
i havent made the code yet...
plaese help me out..
or if anyone does have it plaese mail me at [email removed]

if you have ms visual c++, appwizard can actually make it for you

How about this editor?. Don't know a thing about it though.

There aren't many people who use Turbo C anymore so help you get will be very limited.

my assignment is on turbo C i cannot use VC++...
or not even C#..that is the challenge..otherwise it wud have been much easier to implement..

Are you interested in a ground-up text editor, not using standard controls?

i made one ages ago similar to Nano/vi but much simpler, was a PITA to make though, even with me borrowing loads from other places.

can u plz fwd it to me??..that would prove to be very helpful in stsrting with the implementation

For a simple, Turbo C text editor, I assume that your professor wants just a text-mode, <conio.h>, text editor?

The only things you really need to worry about are:

1. How is the file stored in memory? As a linked list of lines? Or buffered? (I recommend the first.)
  2. What are the commands to do editing? (You might want to draw a status-line at the top of the screen saying something like: F1:[I][/I]Open F2:[I][/I]Save F10:[I][/I]Quit etc. Remember arrow keys, etc.
  3. You'll need functions to draw the visible stuff to the screen, move the cursor up/down/left/right, insert/delete/overwrite text, scroll up/down, save the file, load the file, etc.

Good luck.

hey actually i have to design a text editor in turbo C..
i havent made the code yet...
plaese help me out..
or if anyone does have it plaese mail me at [email removed]

Help you with what? The design? Giving you code?

How about starting with the design as you said. You can certainly get started on that.

can u plz fwd it to me??..that would prove to be very helpful in stsrting with the implementation

No, emailing you his code is a bad way of stsrting the implementation. Making your design would prove more helpful. As would proofreading and writing in English.

you can use GCC on Linux where in you can easily configure it with VI editor.

By the way which project you are doing

I suppose i have a similar project,
can you give me the complete specifications

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.