I have an application that was written for me by a programmer who represented VFP as the "best thing since sliced bread" and that would be robust for many years in the future and more importantly handle huge customer databases over a LAN instantly. Now, after two years the server based program is as fast as a three legged horse over a network and what used to be 1 to 2 second response times to open a customer file is now 30 seconds + because he must first download these huge databases (maybe 20 to 30 thousand customers) to the workstation first and then process the action.

I have been told .NET would solve my problem in conjuction to having SQL as the database. I "don't speak Greek" and don't understand there isn't an easier fix then to convert the VFP program to .NET with SQL for a whole bunch of money too.

Any comments from anyone.

Thanks,
Marc

I have an application that was written for me by a programmer who represented VFP as the "best thing since sliced bread" and that would be robust for many years in the future and more importantly handle huge customer databases over a LAN instantly. Now, after two years the server based program is as fast as a three legged horse over a network and what used to be 1 to 2 second response times to open a customer file is now 30 seconds + because he must first download these huge databases (maybe 20 to 30 thousand customers) to the workstation first and then process the action.

I have been told .NET would solve my problem in conjuction to having SQL as the database. I "don't speak Greek" and don't understand there isn't an easier fix then to convert the VFP program to .NET with SQL for a whole bunch of money too.

Any comments from anyone.

Thanks,
Marc

Marc,

Your problem is very simple to solve, just leave the Fox Pro database and build a front end to query the database for records, instead of having to download thousands of data records, you use a data set to sample and retrieve records as needed, opening and closing the connection to the fox pro database should speed up your response times. Using an ODBC connection string.

HTH

The journey of a thousand miles, begins with the first step!

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.