Hi. I'm trying to write a program that prompts the user of a message at a particular date. For example, a memorable date is set, and the program recognises this date from the code and lists a message.
I would like to know how to make something that can capture the date, and use this information to perform tasks on the particular day. I know that the program would have to run everytime it boots to perform this well, but I've already implemented that bit.

Thanks

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

Are you just trying to implement a simple sort of calendar program where the user enters a date and it says what information that is entered for that date, or are you trying to actually have the system automatically perform tasks once it reaches that date the user has entered information for?

I am trying to implement something that follows your second idea, when the system does it automatically according to a set date.

EDIT:

I would like to use some sort of a loop that runs around this condition, until it is met. Eg. It doesn't do anything until it reaches the date.

Thanks

Unfortunately I'm not sure how to help you, but I think the loop idea is probably a bad one. Wouldn't that just eat up a bunch of system resources? You could maybe do a check every 5 minutes or something somehow, and if it passed the time and date, then do what the user entered. There are plenty of scheduling programs like this out there already though, why not just use one of them?

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.