Hello,

I searched most of yesterday online for an answer to this question and was unsuccessful. please help. What I am trying to do, I have an emulator.exe application which is totally external from any project of my own. I want to create a control (custom control, activex control???) on an MFC c++ dialog that will load this external exe and display it within that control window and allow its functionality to not deplete. in short, I don't want my MFC application to tell the user to manually launch this other application. I want to tie it all together. At this point, I am fine with manually fixing the width and hieght of the control to match that of the emulator.exe. But I am unsure what the best method is for this. Can someone please please help?

Thank you kindly,
Ted

Recommended Answers

All 7 Replies

What do you mean by

load this external exe and display it within that control window

What do you mean by

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Mitrmkar,

Thank you for your response, let me try to better clarify that. I have two seperate EXE's.
I want my MFC application exe to launch another program exe (ie. c:\emulator\emu.exe). BUT (the tricky part) instead of having two totally different exe's that the user must switch back and forth, I want the launched app be in place of a custom control on a dialog in my MFC application, so the user would only have to interface with my MFC app.

Thanks again,
Ted

You can redirect the console app's output to your dialog box as described in the links I posted.

You can redirect the console app's output to your dialog box as described in the links I posted.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
A.D.,

Thank you for your response, and thanks for the links! I wasn't able to find such things in my searching the other day (so much information to look through, so much). I took a good look at this (even compiled & ran the m$ example) Unfortunately though, I don't think this will work in my case. Neither my MFC nor the external app (emu.exe) are that of a win32 console app (which all the links refer to atleast one console app *either child or redirected parent app*). My emulator emulates that of a palm OS simulator, its very graphical (pretty colors...) and a multi threaded environment. Unless, I am missing something??? But, would you happen to know of an any alternative methods for this? Maybe a way to pipe line the binary data of the emu.exe and somehow display it in my MFC custom control? and also somehow for me to pipe line commands from MFC to emu.exe?

Thank you again for your time,
Ted

If you are using palm OS the you must know that it doesn't support stdout like desktop programs do. I've written for PocketPC and Mobile 5 os for the past 8 years or so writing MFC applications using eVC++ 3.0, eVC++ 4.0 and VC++ 2005 compilers. MFC itself is not fully supported on those operating systems. But I'm assuming you have already found that out.

>>But, would you happen to know of an any alternative methods for this?
NO I don't know of any way to do what you want to do on that os.

If you are using palm OS the you must know that it doesn't support stdout like desktop programs do. I've written for PocketPC and Mobile 5 os for the past 8 years or so writing MFC applications using eVC++ 3.0, eVC++ 4.0 and VC++ 2005 compilers. MFC itself is not fully supported on those operating systems. But I'm assuming you have already found that out.

>>But, would you happen to know of an any alternative methods for this?
NO I don't know of any way to do what you want to do on that os.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
A.D.,

Thanks for your reply, I am fully aware of the palm OS not supporting stdout like other desktop apps. But, I am kind of a newby at the whole MFC world, and wasn't sure what its capabilities were. Thank you for confirming my thoughts of this not being possible (atleast this situation). I will investigate an alternative method in the large perspective of the design.

Thanks again,
Ted

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.