Hello everyone,

I am wondering if I want to debug JNI application (upper layer Java and lower layer C), are there any tools to debug through Java code to C code and return back from C code to Java code.

I am using Eclipse. But I do not find such functions in Eclipse (maybe I miss some plug-ins?). Currently, I can only debug Java code.

thanks in advance,
George

Recommended Answers

All 7 Replies

Have you tried debugging the native object in a C ide first? The interface from Java to C tends to be pretty simple... If you are happy with what is going on in Java, then it seems like the sensible step?

Thanks alpha_foobar,

Have you tried debugging the native object in a C ide first? The interface from Java to C tends to be pretty simple... If you are happy with what is going on in Java, then it seems like the sensible step?

You mean there is no integrated way to debug Java part and C part -- debugging goes through Java code into C code and vice versa?

regards,
George

I'm not aware of any. But it isn't an area I have spent a lot of time in.

I'd suspect that you'd need the dll to be running in a C IDE in debug mode for a seamless debug thread to work. And I don't really think that would be possible.

Are you having a problem with something - or is this more of a theoretic question? I'm just thinking that if debugging the C module separately isn't a feasible solution - perhaps there is another way more specific to your problem?

Thanks alpha_foobar,

I'm not aware of any. But it isn't an area I have spent a lot of time in.

I'd suspect that you'd need the dll to be running in a C IDE in debug mode for a seamless debug thread to work. And I don't really think that would be possible.

Are you having a problem with something - or is this more of a theoretic question? I'm just thinking that if debugging the C module separately isn't a feasible solution - perhaps there is another way more specific to your problem?

It is my interest to learn and try new ways and new technology. I am learning JNI and I want to study how to debug and solve issues in JNI code.

How to debug the C module separately? I need to know the input parameters from Java code, right?

regards,
George

Hi George2,
Let's me introduce Eclipse* based tool for debugging Java*/JNI environment that uses CDT and JDT perspectives makes developer works comfortable for Eclipse* users and moving out two debugger scenario to the history.
Please find time to visit http://softwarecommunity.intel.com/articles/eng/1435.htm and try it. Let us to know if it helps to you or not, and what changes should be done to meet your expectations and requirements.

--
Vasily v. Levchenko
Senior Software Engineer
Intel(R) Corporation

Cheers vvl,
I am looking forward to getting an opportunity to use that!

Thank you, alphafoobar.
That would be nice if you share your feedback on our site, because whatif is some way to share Intel engineers' ideas with others. And actually number of feedbacks or recommendation from community will influence on realization of those ideas.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.