Hi,

I am new to VC++ programming. I need to create 2 forms and and collect the data that is input in the forms to a class. Now the forms are defined in the form1.h and form2.h files. I have a class "Railway_Input" in the main cpp file. The cpp file runs the form1 by the command

Application::Run(Ipform);
where Ipform is an object of the class for form1. The form2 class is called within the form1.h file.

I cannot access the Ipform->textBox->Text values in the main cpp file, using the Ipform object. As it complains that the attributes are private and I cant access it. I want to know if VC++ provides getter and setter for each of these properties(like textbox,radiobutton) ?If yes what are they called. I did not find a getText() function for textbox, so not sure what member function I should be looking for.

Another way of doing it is declaring the private variables public , which I do not think is right.
If the getter, setters are not provided I could write one for each of the form required elements.

Please let me know what I could do. Also please provide me some good books or links for VC++ programming.

Thanks

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

>I want to know if VC++ provides getter and setter
>for each of these properties(like textbox,radiobutton) ?
No, but it's trivial to write them yourself. You can also force generated controls to be public, but that's not a good practice.

@Narue
Thx for tht!!

@everyone
I do have a new problem though :( .

I am designing a project with two input forms. Now the data in the 2 forms is to be assigned into the class attributes of the class "Railway_Input" which is defined in the .cpp file. The main function looks as folllows. A form1.h file defines the class Form1.

int main(array<System::String ^> ^args)
{
    //Rail_Input RS;
    Form1^ Ipform = gcnew Form1();
    // Enabling Windows XP visual effects before any controls are created
    Application::EnableVisualStyles();
    Application::SetCompatibleTextRenderingDefault(false); 

// Create the main window and run it
    Application::Run(Ipform);
    //RS.read_sec_mod_rail(Ipform);
    return 0;
}

I first call the forms by the Application::Run command, once the data is entered I need that to be entered in the class Railway_Input. So the Railway_Input attributes are populated from the Ipform object of the form. So could I write the code for that after the Application::Run command?

When I run my program now it compiles but gives me an execution error. But if instead of using the object Ipform in the command Application::Run(IPform), I say Application::Run(gcnew Form1()). The program executes. I have pasted my error below. Please tell me what I am doing wrong.

Also sugest any good books or websites for VC++ project development

'Window_form.exe' (Managed): Loaded 'C:\WINDOWS\assembly\GAC_32\mscorlib\2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089\mscorlib.dll', No symbols loaded.
'Window_form.exe' (Managed): Loaded 'c:\Documents and Settings\Lab\My Documents\Visual Studio 2005\Projects\Window_form\debug\Window_form.exe', Symbols loaded.
'Window_form.exe' (Managed): Loaded 'C:\WINDOWS\WinSxS\x86_Microsoft.VC80.DebugCRT_1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b_8.0.50727.762_x-ww_5490cd9f\msvcm80d.dll', Symbols loaded.
'Window_form.exe' (Managed): Loaded 'C:\WINDOWS\assembly\GAC_MSIL\System\2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089\System.dll', No symbols loaded.
'Window_form.exe' (Managed): Loaded 'C:\WINDOWS\assembly\GAC_MSIL\System.Windows.Forms\2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089\System.Windows.Forms.dll', No symbols loaded.
'Window_form.exe' (Managed): Loaded 'C:\WINDOWS\assembly\GAC_MSIL\System.Drawing\2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a\System.Drawing.dll', No symbols loaded.
A first chance exception of type 'System.InvalidOperationException' occurred in System.Windows.Forms.dll
An unhandled exception of type 'System.InvalidOperationException' occurred in System.Windows.Forms.dll

Additional information: SetCompatibleTextRenderingDefault must be called before the first IWin32Window object is created in the application.

The program '[2948] Window_form.exe: Managed' has exited with code -532459699 (0xe0434f4d).

Thx in Advance

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.