Hi
I have been trying to install the ERIC python IDE
http://www.die-offenbachs.de/eric/eric-links.html
for a while now to no sucess. I could not i kept getting errors when installing the QT module

Determining the layout of your Qt installation...
Error: Make sure you have a working Qt v4 qmake on your PATH.

i have no idea what i am doing wrong becuase i cant find any good installation tutorials
To run ERIC needs these certain modules but i can't seem to get them working at all
Any help would be appreciated.

Recommended Answers

All 17 Replies

yeah i have that installed but for some reason the message still comes up

I have made some progress and now i get this error message

Compiling debugger files.
Listing eric ...

Installing eric4 ...
An internal error occured.  Please report all the output of the program,
including the following traceback, to eric4-bugs@die-offenbachs.de.

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "C:\Python25\install.py", line 658, in <module>
    main(sys.argv)
  File "C:\Python25\install.py", line 633, in main
    installEric()
  File "C:\Python25\install.py", line 355, in installEric
    shutil.copy(wname, cfg['bindir'])
  File "C:\Python25\lib\shutil.py", line 80, in copy
    copyfile(src, dst)
  File "C:\Python25\lib\shutil.py", line 41, in copyfile
    raise Error, "`%s` and `%s` are the same file" % (src, dst)
Error: `eric4-api.bat` and `C:\Python25\eric4-api.bat` are the same file

No idea what to do

You might have to uninstall a partially installed version of eric before reinstalling. I would stick with an IDE that uses wxPython as its GUI toolkit, like DrPython, Boa or PythonWin.

Yeah it looks like it's saying it doesn't want to overwrite preexisting files. Why are you trying to use ERIC specifically?

I thought got told by some people at school to try it out

To be able to run eric4 you should have the following installed first:

Python 2.4.0 or better
Qt 4.2.0 or better (from Trolltech)
PyQt 4.1.0 or better (from Riverbank)
QScintilla 2.1 or better (from Riverbank)

Do have all of these installed?

I am using SPE, it's okay, it incorporates wxGlade (GUI builder) and the excellent WinPdb (debugger), but it does not have some features like code completion.

I use mostly PyScripter, it is written with Delphi, and has the features I want. It's a standalone .exe file that works on Windows.

There is free download from:
http://pyscripter.googlepages.com/

Actually, I like to use SPE for debugging and PyScripter for experimenting with Python code.

Never used Eric so far, might check it out.

Well, if you get Eric to work, let the rest of us know what you did.

I downloaded
PyQt-Py2.5-gpl-4.4.2-1.exe
from
http://www.riverbankcomputing.co.uk/software/pyqt/download

This binary Windows installer installs well on Windows XP and contains everything you need to use the PyQt GUI toolkit.

I downloaded and tried the Eric IDE with it, and it seems to work by simply double clicking on the file Eric.pyw

However, I am not impressed with the Eric IDE and find it at this point just too cumbersome. I will play around with it for a while!

Yeah i gave up.. If only they had an all in one installer. Oh well i have been trying Pyscripter and it is working really well.

Well sorry to hijack the thread in a way, but should I be trying out other IDEs? I just use the standard Python IDLE at the moment. I have DrPython downloaded, but have only used it once.

Yeah it all depends on what you want. I used IDLE for a long time too but i found PyScripter really, really good becuase you could debug it really well and that worked for me.
So yeah it really depends on what you are looking for.

I am using PyScripter more and more and really like the code completion, and the ease you can insert code templates.

For instance, hope it makes sense:

s = 'hello'
# Next line, the moment you type the period after s
# a code completion menu pops up
# with all the possible string functions.
# Here I doubleclicked on find.
# When I type the opening (  a popup hint comes up
# showing me what could go inside the find() function
# and more
ix = s.find('ll')
print ix

# Pressing ctrl/j brings up a template popup list
# for something like this
# Yes you can copy the result from the
# Pyscripter output/interpreter window
"""
my result -->
"""

One thing you have to be careful about is the use of running the code in memory (nice but dangerous) rather than from a saved file. Pyscripter has a tendency to quit unceremoniously with certain errors. If you didn't save a copy of your code, you lost it!

I am using SPE, it's okay, it incorporates wxGlade (GUI builder) and the excellent WinPdb (debugger), but it does not have some features like code completion.

I use mostly PyScripter, it is written with Delphi, and has the features I want. It's a standalone .exe file that works on Windows.

There is free download from:
http://pyscripter.googlepages.com/

Actually, I like to use SPE for debugging and PyScripter for experimenting with Python code.

Never used Eric so far, might check it out.

I love Pyscripter, but it's hard coded to the Python versions, so you can't run version 2.7 with it. It skips over to 3.0 and 3.1, both of which don't play nice with Unix data.

If ANYONE knows how to get it running with 2.7, I'd be obliged.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.