Hi All,
I am an experienced java programmer for many years. But my problem is that the final assignment that was given to me for my master at the university, has to be written in VB .NET.

Do you know any good books for learning VB .NET for someone like me? I don't want a book that just explains how to use the graphic environment and build GUIs. I have bought one those years ago and it wasn't helpful. It didn't explain much about the programming language ,but only how to create graphics.

I am asking this question here, because I already know java and want to go to VB .NET.

PS: The assignment will be web based. The users will connect to the internet, log in, and then use the application

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

write a thesis about why it's irresponsible to use VB for serious software development, and submit that with a C# application :)

There is a pretty decent book "C# for Java programmers" that explains the transition from Java to C#.
Given that VB.NET is another .NET/CLR language, you should be able to use that together with a VB.NET reference to get underway.

Actually the subject that I am doing the thesis has nothing to do with programming or software. The subject is called something like: Environmental Protection. And the application will have to be a system that monitors the materials that Industries use and the wastes that they produce. Since one industry's waste could be used by another industry for material, there should be a network with all the industries and I will have to deterine which one needs what from whom.
It is easy to be done in java, but since the lab that the professor runs consists mostly of chemists, the only thing they know is VB and access.
So he wants it to be done in VB in order for the application to run with the other programs they have.
Besides I shouldn't have a problem learning a new language. I just wanted a good book to get me started, based on my java background.

Actually the subject that I am doing the thesis has nothing to do with programming or software. The subject is called something like: Environmental Protection. And the application will have to be a system that monitors the materials that Industries use and the wastes that they produce. Since one industry's waste could be used by another industry for material, there should be a network with all the industries and I will have to deterine which one needs what from whom.
It is easy to be done in java, but since the lab that the professor runs consists mostly of chemists, the only thing they know is VB and access.
So he wants it to be done in VB in order for the application to run with the other programs they have.
Besides I shouldn't have a problem learning a new language. I just wanted a good book to get me started, based on my java background.

From what I saw, VB is fairly adjacent to Java, except that it is easier.

My friend took a VB class and from what I noticed (with less Java experience than you) is that a lot of what they do deals with manipulating Windows. A lot of the code looks like Java "inner classes" with commands (sort of like built-in action listeners / executors), etc.

The only thing you'll really have to know is the syntax and of course a library to use the functions. I'd suggest looking up VB libraries and then practice with the code as you learn the syntax, then you won't waste too much time trying to learn VB.

VB is a mess. In fact anything that mixes display logic with business logic is a mess...
At least in Java you will be eased into doing things the right way, in VB that's almost impossible.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.