First of all, introductions. I'm a 17 year old trying to learn programming in C++, mainly to help further my chances of getting into the game design/creation field.

Right now I only have an intermediate understanding of one beginners C++ book, "Beginning C++ Game Programming", by Michael Dawson, but I also want to learn how to do simple, non-game related coding with C++. So, my question is (couldn't find anything similar with search), how would I go about making a program that runs another program, presses a button, then ends? Specifically, I'm wanting to open Ventrilo and press the connect button.

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

Maybe the question is simple but the answer is pretty complex. First you need to learn how to write Windws programs and understand the windows messaging system. Here is a tutorial to get you started with that. It only touches on the highlights, and there are months (or years) of studies to understand all of it.

Thanks. Are there any C++ tutorials of a similar nature?

There are hundreds of tutorials. A few here on DaniWeb, others you can find with google. Avoid any tutorial that uses iostream.h -- the one without the *.h extension is the current one.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.