I hae been trying to run some arguments in the cmd through java and it isn't giving me any errors. I know it is opening cmd and it executes the last argument to create the file. The only problem is that the output is not writed into the file. If I run the same exact line directly in the cmd it works perfectly. I'm just alittle stumped why it is doing what its doing

try {

String[] commands = {"C:/CohMetrix2007/Data/ParseIT.exe ","C:/CohMetrix2007/Data/EN/ ", "-P ", "C:/CohMetrix2007/Data/EN/sometxt ", ">C:/CohMetrix2007/Data/EN/second "};
        Runtime rt = Runtime.getRuntime();
       Process p = rt.exec("cmd.exe", commands);  

9 Years
Discussion Span
Last Post by pkollmyr

Since you are using Runtime.exec() to execute it, the standard output is already redirected to the parent process, which is probably why nothing is getting written. Take a look at the Process API for info on handling that output. You should be able to just get the output as a stream(the method is actually called getInputStream() because it's an input stream to your program from the output stream of the process - a little bit confusing in name) and write that to a file with a BufferedWriter.

When I tried to use buffered reader I could tell it was working because it would print out "Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
(C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp."

and then it would hang up there. any suggestions?

This topic has been dead for over six months. Start a new discussion instead.
Have something to contribute to this discussion? Please be thoughtful, detailed and courteous, and be sure to adhere to our posting rules.