guys! please help me to choose language (c++/J2ME) for mobile application!
Actually I decided to do in c++ but some of my friends say it is not a good idea to do it!
so please tell me which language I should select for S60 mobile phones to do project and why??

Recommended Answers

All 7 Replies

Edward would probably choose Java instead of C++ for a mobile phone.

http://mobilephonedevelopment.com/archives/492
Perhaps a good look around that site in general will be of some use to you.

You've already biased your answer by posting in the C++ forum.

> Actually I decided to do in c++ but some of my friends say it is not a good idea to do it!
And is their level of expertese on the subject any better than yours?
Or is it just more smoke from their own naive biased opinion?

The first question is, what sort of application?
If it's UI-centric and doesn't need lots of performance, then try Java.

Salem is right that you should choose platform by your language preferences. For example I'm comfortable in Java and J2ME is was far easier to use for me then Symbian C++ (even though I got no less then 75% for all assignments) Be aware C++ for mobile device so often called Symbian is very distinguish/different from C++ as you may know. I had lot of problems to look up methods in Symbian documentation and secondly they do loots of changes from one version to other, so if you find by any chance some nice tutorial from something you trying to implement you have like 50-50 chance that it may work or throw hell of errors in your face.

I've developed over 40 applications for Mobile 5.0 and Pocket PC using Visual Studio C++. I was able to accomplish a lot of things that most likely are not possible to do with Java, such as forbidding users to access the Today screen, disabling the Start button and the big X in the upper right corner of the screen. None of those programs involved the Web, so if what you're trying to do is web based than java is probably better.

I've developed over 40 applications for Mobile 5.0 and forbidding users to access the Today screen, disabling the Start button and the big X in the upper right corner of the screen.

He-he that will be because Java phones don't have such things ;)

Web development is still tricky for all mobile platforms as not many websites have portal for mobile access like large companies such as BBC, London Transport, Google, Yahoo etc.

He-he that will be because Java phones don't have such things ;)

Web development is still tricky for all mobile platforms as not many websites have portal for mobile access like large companies such as BBC, London Transport, Google, Yahoo etc.

Then the OP should have been more specific about the type of mobile hardware he is targeting. I didn't realize cell phones software was written in java. But then I know next to nothing about Java anyway.

Doesn't have to be necessary in Java. With S60 you have choice between Symbian coding or their support of Java. There are some pro and cons for both of them. Obviously these two technologies, plus Microsoft approach, are repeated all over by many people. Not many actually know that you can do lot of things for mobiles in Python, Flash Lite, BREW and lately Android (google is little behind with they toy)

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.