Hi, I'm trying to write a very simple program to graph data via Bluetooth accelerometer (which runs on COM6). All I need is for it to take ASCII datathat comes into Hyperterminal like this:
Y=2.316

Y=2.283

Y=2.233

Y=2.216

Y=1.850

Y=2.033

Y=2.016

Y=1.833

Y=1.633

Y=1.516

Y=1.283

Y=1.200

to then be graphed vs. time in real-time, with perhaps a quick averaging algorithm to reduce noise. That's it. Could anyone point me in the right direction.

Basically, I'd need it to be able to do this:

1. I have to connect the program to the Accelerometer via COM6

2. I have to then press "1" to start the data transmision, which could be tied into a "Start" button

3. Graph that data vs. time until i hit some sort of stop button

That's it. Anyone? Help would be GREATLY appreciated. This is for a physics application that we plan to take to Highschools to get kids more interested in Engineering as a profession. I am in Mechanical Engineering at Ohio State and have absolutely no experience programming. I downloaded SharpDevelop, but am really just lost. If anyone knows of good tutorials, existing programs, or wants to take a stab at it, I would be forever greatful.

Thanks so much
Dan

http://forums.msdn.microsoft.com/en-US/csharpgeneral/thread/00d6e2dd-e8a8-4720-94fc-e9b07abf2bfa/ has some example code on reading from a com port with c#, to graph it you would need to keep the values, and map it across time, so you would want to use the time to work as your X axisis and perhaps scroll so as to only fit a given time period on screen at an time, or start with some more fancy maths to squish from start to finish in your given space..

If nothing else, i would suggest you take the code on that forum, read in your data, and save it to a file, you can always process it afterwards as your first project.. and if necessary graph it in excel afterwards.. For stage 2, try and work on a graph and updating it from the code you have that works.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.