Hello,

I can not fill a dataset and operate with a datatable when it is on other computer (not on the ASP server). I am using MS VIsual Studio .NET 2003 and ASP. I receive the following error when trying to fill a dataset:
"The Microsoft Jet database engine cannot open the file '\\path' It is already opened exclusively by another user, or you need permission to view its data."
I have checked the permissions, everything seems to be OK. I receive the same error when trying to operate with a database on the same machine the ASP server is, if it has a linked table in a file on another computer.

Thanks,
Aleksander

Have you found a solution/explanation for this yet? I'm experiencing the exact same issue. Is this something that I can't do anyway?

Hello,

I can not fill a dataset and operate with a datatable when it is on other computer (not on the ASP server). I am using MS VIsual Studio .NET 2003 and ASP. I receive the following error when trying to fill a dataset:
"The Microsoft Jet database engine cannot open the file '\\path' It is already opened exclusively by another user, or you need permission to view its data."
I have checked the permissions, everything seems to be OK. I receive the same error when trying to operate with a database on the same machine the ASP server is, if it has a linked table in a file on another computer.

Thanks,
Aleksander

Have you found a solution/explanation for this yet? I'm experiencing the exact same issue. Is this something that I can't do anyway?

Unfortunatelly I have not. I have changed my database structure. If you find something, please write.

Just wanted to let you know I have had these issues with Access. It could be several things. One, someone locked up the database when they were in it, causing the lock file to remain. Reboot both the server and workstation and that usually fixes things.

Another case I found was that the username and computername were the same. This was an issue with XP. I don't know who set that up, but BAD news! Once I changed the computername, it wasn't an issue.

If the security or permissions are not setup properly, this can also happen. It seems that you have that option taken care of. If you browse to that location and can copy and paste files, you shouldn't have any problems with the security. (If that is the security needed)

Also, make sure everyone is using the latest mdac and jet. MS didn't do a very good job with their jet. That's for sure...

Hope this helps.

Bob

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.