Hello everyone, I am new to computer science, and thus far this semester I have not needed any help in writing a program even though I am stuck with a professor who struggles to get a clear point across. He is a great guy and tries to make sure we understand the material, but he is so comfortable with the stuff that he forgets we are entry level programmers!

Anyways, he recently gave us a program to write that involves functions and procedures in order to find clothing size. Here is the writeup he gave us for the program.

1) Write a C++ program to calculate a person's hat size, jacket size, and waist size using functions and procedures.
Hat size = weight in lbs divided by height in inches, and all of that multiplied by 2.9
Jacket Size = height in inches times weight divided by 288
waist in inches = weight in lbs divided by 4.9
2)The input of the program will be one of the following characters. H will indicate hat size, J will indicate Jacket size, and W will indicate waist in inches, then enter the weight, followed by the height in feet and inches.

So far this is what I have, and I am stuck!

#include <iostream>

using namespace std;

void get_sentinel (char &);
void get_data (int &, int &, int &);
float Hat_Size (float, float, float);
int Jacket_Size (int, int, int);
int Waist_Size (int, int, int);

int main()
{
    int weight, height_in_feet, height_in_inches;
    float hat;
    int jacket, waist;
    get_data (weight, height_in_feet, height_in_inches);
    char method;      

return 0;
}

void get_data (int & weight, int & height_in_feet, int & height_in_inches)
{

cout << "Please enter your height in feet." << endl;
    cin >> height_in_feet;
    cout << "Please enter your height in inches." << endl;
    cin >> height_in_inches;
    cout << "Please enter your weight." << endl;
    cin >> weight;

}

Hello everyone, I am new to computer science, and thus far this semester I have not needed any help in writing a program even though I am stuck with a professor who struggles to get a clear point across. He is a great guy and tries to make sure we understand the material, but he is so comfortable with the stuff that he forgets we are entry level programmers!

Anyways, he recently gave us a program to write that involves functions and procedures in order to find clothing size. Here is the writeup he gave us for the program.

1) Write a C++ program to calculate a person's hat size, jacket size, and waist size using functions and procedures.
Hat size = weight in lbs divided by height in inches, and all of that multiplied by 2.9
Jacket Size = height in inches times weight divided by 288
waist in inches = weight in lbs divided by 4.9
2)The input of the program will be one of the following characters. H will indicate hat size, J will indicate Jacket size, and W will indicate waist in inches, then enter the weight, followed by the height in feet and inches.

So far this is what I have, and I am stuck!

#include <iostream>

using namespace std;

void get_sentinel (char &);
void get_data (int &, int &, int &);
int Jacket_Size (int, int, int);
int Waist_Size (int, int, int);

int main()
{
    int weight, height_in_feet, height_in_inches;
    float hat;
    int jacket, waist;
    get_data (weight, height_in_feet, height_in_inches);
    char method;      

return 0;
}

void get_data (int & weight, int & height_in_feet, int & height_in_inches)
{

cout << "Please enter your height in feet." << endl;
    cin >> height_in_feet;
    cout << "Please enter your height in inches." << endl;
    cin >> height_in_inches;
    cout << "Please enter your weight." << endl;
    cin >> weight;

}

Look at your function prototype. It takes three parameters. Look at the description. It takes two parameters. These should match. Ditto with jacket size and waist size. Read the descriptions, decide what needs to be passed to the function in order for the function to do its job. If you don't need to pass something, don't pass it. Pick some variable names for these functions and try implementing them. Right now you declare them, but don't implement them, which means you can't call them. Just have them return 0 for the implementation for now, add the function calls, and get it to compile. Adding names to the variables will help you write the program.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.