Can anyone let me know how I could include a variable within a system command?
(This is a win32 project and not an application.)

I am using: (some code taken out)

system(("set path=%path%;"+user).c_str());
system(("set CLASSPATH=.;"+usertwo).c_str());

system(("java -Djava.security.manager -Djava.security.policy="+user+"\examplepolicy
Xsys").c_str());

Thanks in advance!!!

Recommended Answers

All 15 Replies

You have the option of string.append(), for the end of a string; and string.insert() to insert characters at a known position, in a string.

string setpath = "set setpath=%path%;";
setpath.append(user);
system(setpath.c_str());

Or read The World of DOS - Creating Batch Files, that might help.

I hope you realize that changing environment variables in a program is not permanent and good only as long as the program is running. Just like *nix, any changes made will disappear when the program stops.

MosaicFuneral - Thanks very much for that! Will try get my head around str.insert();

Would it be: str.insert(53,setjava); For

system(("java -Djava.security.manager -Djava.security.policy="+user+"\examplepolicy
Xsys");

53 being the 53rd character -Sorry, I am beginner at this!

Ancient Dragon - Thanks for the advice. This is intended to be a listener project. Which will eventually listener for traffic on port 6666. I did not want to create a batch file because I did not want anyone to view the source and change certain aspects. A .bat file is something to think about though!! :-/

Would it be: str.insert(53,setjava); For
[..]

53 being the 53rd character -Sorry, I am beginner at this!

Why don't you just try it and see? You might want to put setjava in double quotes "setjava".

If you have no experience in C++ (which I'm assuming), you might be better of with Ancient Dragon's advice to make a batch file.

Why don't you just try it and see? You might want to put setjava in double quotes "setjava".

If you have no experience in C++ (which I'm assuming), you might be better of with Ancient Dragon's advice to make a batch file.

Very True - but to be honest, I do prefer C++ evan though its new to me.

Thanks for the advice anyway ;)

You have the option of string.append(), for the end of a string; and string.insert() to insert characters at a known position, in a string.

setpath.append(user);
system(setpath.c_str());

Or read The World of DOS - Creating Batch Files, that might help.

This is not working, but I'm sure its just me??

string user;

cout << "1. Enter FULL PATH to directory: ";
	cin >> entry;

user = entry;

setpath.append(user);
	system(setpath.c_str());

string setclass = "set CLASSPATH=.;";
	setclass.append(user);
	system(setclass.c_str());

string setjava = "java -Djava.security.manager -Djava.security.policy=\examplepolicy Xsys";
	setjava.insert(52,user);
	system(setjava.c_str());

Insert should be after "policy="

Any ideas???

You can use string.find(), so you don't have to count long strings.

You can use string.find(), so you don't have to count long strings.

Thanks - but I'll stick with setjava.insert(53,user); for now.

I take it that the first Character from a string is "0" and the seond a "1" when using setjava.insert(53,user);

Correct, "most" things while counting, in C++, start at 0.

A reference of string, if you need:
http://www.cplusplus.com/reference/string/string/

Thanks again - do you know if there is something similar to "echo on" in c++?? I would like to know what’s going on in the background. I am able to compile with no probs, but the .exe is not working as expected.

A better soultion might be:
Have your C++ prog. create a .bat file, run it, then delete it.

A better soultion might be:
Have your C++ prog. create a .bat file, run it, then delete it.

OK - let me know if i wrong, but you suggest:

• Have the c++ file create a .bat file with the required commands (dynamically). Then once the file has completed its function, delete it - a bit like a temp file? Mmmmm that could be an idea!

OK - let me know if i wrong, but you suggest:

• Have the c++ file create a .bat file with the required commands (dynamically). Then once the file has completed its function, delete it - a bit like a temp file? Mmmmm that could be an idea!

Forgot to say - How?

Just search for "C++ file i/o",and you'll get plenty of tutorials.
If you have any problems, with that, then start a new thread about it.

And I should ask, "What are you doing; that cannot be done in C++, or with the O/S's API?"

Just search for "C++ file i/o",and you'll get plenty of tutorials.
If you have any problems, with that, then start a new thread about it.

And I should ask, "What are you doing; that cannot be done in C++, or with the O/S's API?"

Thanks for your guidance!

I am trying to create a listening application which will listen and wait for communications via port 6666. This involves setting a CLASSPATH and calling the JAVA KEYTOOL.

I'm very sure it can be done via C++ so I'm going to crack on with it.

:-/

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.