Hi, I was told that you can crash Windows in C++ or C by "corrupting the kernel", and I wanted to know if this was actually possible. If anyone knows if this is possible, or how it happens, please tell me. ;)

Recommended Answers

All 14 Replies

No.

The kernel is write-protected and you have to know the right magic to get past that.

Deliberately crashing the kernel isn't funny. It is downright dangerous. You can utterly destroy your system and loose data.

So there's absolutely no way possible for the average person to write to it?

>So there's absolutely no way possible for the average person to write to it?
Why in the world are you even asking how to crash Windows by corrupting the kernel?

I was just curious, I absolutely do not want to make any type of virus, trojan, or malware.

>So there's absolutely no way possible for the average person to write to it?
No.

>I was just curious, I absolutely do not want to make any type of virus, trojan, or malware.
Anything that deliberately harms your system is, by definition, malware.

Seriously, you'd get more entertainment by using a sledgehammer or just defenestrating it from some tall office building.

Well, the answer is that the "average" person can easily corrupt Windows by randomly writing in the appropriate locations. That's a pretty surefire way to screw something up and make the system unusable. You don't even have to touch the kernel, there are thousands of critical files that can be corrupted to destroy a Windows installation.

>I was just curious, I absolutely do not want to make any type of virus, trojan, or malware.

I have to admit, I believe you (because i've helped you in many previous threads). And well, we all find ammusment in differen't things, making pranks for a friend (as long as it doesn't damage their system like Duoas said) isn't too bad if it gives a couple of laughs. It will be possible, but I don't know any ways of doing it off the top of my head. Just.. don't over-do it :)

I don't know why... but I found the first post amusing XD

But I'm laughing with you Beast! I promise! O_O

-Alex

>Deliberately crashing the kernel isn't funny
Does that mean accidently crashing it is? :)

Hah :D , sorry, I coulden't help myself.

commented: Whoo! =P +5

>Deliberately crashing the kernel isn't funny
Does that mean accidently crashing it is? :)

Hah :D , sorry, I coulden't help myself.

Rep-worthy! XD

It's too bad I can't give you any more rep today @_@

-Alex

Just open the Windows directory and take your pick on what to use against it. Registries, .infs, replace .exes with .coms, find a minor glitch, etc.

Its very hard to write to protected memory NT based systems, specifically windows server, as they have extra protections on by default. Only real way to access kernel memory space from a program you make is to write a kernel level device driver but as i said, it will be easialy blocked as 64 bit versions and versions of windows server do not allow unsigned kernel drivers.

Of course you can easily crash Windows with Win32 api, but what's the goal ?
It's stupid.

Of course you can easily crash Windows with Win32 api, but what's the goal ?
It's stupid.

Your beginning to get on my nerves..
If you read his post, you would have noticed he said he was just curious. For all you know, he could have been trying to understand how it works to prevent other applications from doing the same. Think before you post.. and don't just suddenly jump to the conclusion that "It's stupid".

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.