*When I compile the program it works. However, when I try to run the program, it outputs the first message then gives me the following error-*

CSCI112LAB2.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience.

*And when I tried to debug it*

Unhandled exception at 0x7855b690 in CSCI112LAB2.exe: 0xC0000005: Access violation reading location 0x00000000.
There is no source code available for the current location.

*And this appears in the output box*

'CSCI112LAB2.exe': Loaded 'C:\Documents and Settings\Tina\My Documents\Visual Studio 2008\Projects\CSCI112LAB2\Release\CSCI112LAB2.exe', Symbols loaded.
'CSCI112LAB2.exe': Loaded 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\ntdll.dll'
'CSCI112LAB2.exe': Loaded 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\kernel32.dll'
'CSCI112LAB2.exe': Loaded 'C:\WINDOWS\WinSxS\x86_Microsoft.VC90.CRT_1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b_9.0.21022.8_x-ww_d08d0375\msvcp90.dll'
'CSCI112LAB2.exe': Loaded 'C:\WINDOWS\WinSxS\x86_Microsoft.VC90.CRT_1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b_9.0.21022.8_x-ww_d08d0375\msvcr90.dll'
First-chance exception at 0x7855b690 in CSCI112LAB2.exe: 0xC0000005: Access violation reading location 0x00000000.
Unhandled exception at 0x7855b690 in CSCI112LAB2.exe: 0xC0000005: Access violation reading location 0x00000000.
The program '[5520] CSCI112LAB2.exe: Native' has exited with code 0 (0x0).

*So…I have no idea how to fix this. I played around with it for a while and still can’t get it to work. I don’t understand what I can do to fix an error when it says that there is no source code at the location to fix.*

*New error message! – I just got this one this morning when I tried to run the debug. I have no idea what it means, except for the invalid null pointer part, but I don’t think I was using any pointers that I myself deliberately put there.*

Debug Assertion Failed!

Program: …Visual Studio 2008\Projects\CSCI112LAB2\Debug\CSCI112LAB2.exe
File: f:\dd\vctools\crt_bld\self_x86\crt\src\xstring
Line: 1094

Expression: invalid null pointer

For information on how your program can cause an assertion failure, see the Visual C++ documentation on asserts.

(Press Retry to debug the application)

*What do I do to fix this?*

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

>*What do I do to fix this?*
Figure out where you're trying to dereference a null pointer in your code.

Thanks for taking the time to reply!

But I'm not using pointers in the code...so, it's kinda hard for me to find it. Maybe it's just 'cause I'm not too great at C++, but I'm pretty sure I didn't do that since I try to avoid pointers at all costs. :)

Then step through your code so you can at least pinpoint where the exception is thrown.

> (Press Retry to debug the application)
Do this.

When the debugger starts, do something like
view->stack

That will tell you how the code got to that point.

Somewhere through the various stack levels will be your code. Click on the first one you recognise. It should open your source code. Examine really carefully all the parameters which are being passed. Chances are, one of them is NULL, and it shouldn't be.

It happens the instant the program begins to run. The program outputs the first cout line and then the error occurs before the next line. The lines involved are:

cout<<"This program seaches Employee data to output a name and salary."<<endl;
bool lnfound = false;	//last not found boolean
char response;		//holds user choice for continue search
string first;		//holds first name user input
string last;		//holds last name user input
string salary = 0;	//holds salary
cout<<"Beginning File check."<<endl;

Thanks for taking the time to reply!

Perhaps I should have mentioned this in the original post, but when I press Retry is goes back to the first error listed and shuts down...

Wait a minute... I think I see what I did...wow, stupid error. :(

I wrote string salary = 0 but that's impossible. wow. I can't believe I didn't see that.

Sorry to bother you!

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.