Here is what I want to accomplish--I want a ListBox exactly like everyone else uses (almost always)! When the user mouse-clicks in the box and enters a keypress, the first item in the dropdown list, with that char as a first char, is selected. The values are restricted to those in the dropdown list (i.e. the user may not enter data directly from the keyboard.)

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

Set AutoCompleteSource to ListItems, then set AutoCompleteMode to whichever one you like. I prefer Suggest, but you can check them all to see which one is ideal for you.

Set AutoCompleteSource to ListItems, then set AutoCompleteMode to whichever one you like.

I had played about with various combinations of these but operator error bit me! I am doing file name creation based upon song titles; song titles occasionally have invalid (for file names) characters in them.

I have a Form which offers the user the opportunity to select replacement characters for the forbidden ones. As almost every Item in the ComboBox is a single letter, when I entered a single letter there needed to be no suggestion as I had gotten the entry right! The only multi-character Items are “ (single space)”, “<space>hyphen<space>” and a few other special entries involving the <space> character—all visually confusing without a textual description! Entering a <space> into the ComboBox does indeed bring up the suggestions which are appropriate.

Thanks for helping me stay focused and not give up on this tiny detail!

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.