Well im trying to "sleep" or make the program twiddle its thumbs for 15 seconds before continueing but without pausing the main thread.

So i thought maybe if i create a new thread and Sleep in that one that would help but no.

So then i thought the timer object but still no.

Now i dont know if the above "no"'s are because im completely stupid and cant use them or they didnt actually work.....

Heres the new thread method i stole from microsoft.

class Sleep
{
    static TimeSpan waitTime = new TimeSpan(0, 0, 15);

public static void sSleep()
    {
        Thread newThread = new Thread(new ThreadStart(Sleeping));
        newThread.Start();

if (newThread.Join(waitTime + waitTime))
        {
            //
        }
        else
        {
            //
        }
    }
    static void Sleeping()
    {
        Thread.Sleep(waitTime);
    }
}

That didnt work for me (it paused the main thread)

If someone could show me how to use the timer correctly that would be much appriciated.

Recommended Answers

You could just use a timer.

Jump to Post

I don't understand your problem. You're trying to make your program 'sleep' without pausing the main thread? That's not really a sleep because sleep would be a blocking call. If what you need is a timer, then use the Timer class. Here is how it looks in short:

Jump to Post

All 5 Replies

as i said if someone could show me how to use the timer correctly that would be very very helpful :)

I don't understand your problem. You're trying to make your program 'sleep' without pausing the main thread? That's not really a sleep because sleep would be a blocking call. If what you need is a timer, then use the Timer class. Here is how it looks in short:

Timer mTimer = new Timer(TIMEOUT_VALUE);
mTimer.Elapsed += new ElapsedEventHandler(TIMEOUT_METHOD);
mTimer.Start();

Here is the signature for TIMEOUT_METHOD

public void MyMethod(object source, ElapsedEventArgs e)
{ }

This method will execute when your timer ends. The timer will then restart automatically when the call to this method completes.

Timer is also a component on your toolbar - with other examples on how to use it in your helpfile.

Perhaps if you let the main thread spawn a new thread. You could pause the new thread and let the main thread continue?

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts learning and sharing knowledge.